Fuel Gauge shows empty at half tank

BigRed

.020 Over
I had a Triumph fuel gauge installed at a dealer and when it hits the red zone, it took 3.2 gallons to fill the tank (6.6 gal.) Anyone know of an adjustment for the gauge?

There is an adjustment you can do to the sending unit. It puts most of the error to the top of the gauge, I have heard there is an updated sending unit you might check your dealler about that.

http://www.r3owners.net/common-issues/2746-low-fuel-light-fix-pictures.html

The adjustment procedure can be tricky. I did it a couple of months ago. You really have to take your time to get it right.

Usually the dealer (if he installed it) will tweak it for you, by the way the fuel capacity is 6.3 gallons.

Dennis

75 dtg Dubai
76 dtg Home

People in here say the R3T has a 5.9 gallon tank. The owners manual says 4.9. My fuel gauge says empty when approximately 4.9 is consumed. I'm not sure what to believe. Go figure. I suppose the one sure fire way to tell would be to siphon the gas out of the tank and fill it back up (I have a 5 gallon container) and see how much the old girl will hold.

RocketDaryl; I vote for, near 5 gallon versus a tad over 6 gallon tank. The length of the Standard and the tank of the R3T appear the same. The height, of the Standard's tank, however is shirley of a greater capacity than the difference of the suggested 5.9 of the R3T and the 6.4 capacity of the Standard's tank. I vote, near 1.5 gallon less than the Standard. I can't speak to the width differences.

Last edited:
6.6, 6.3, 6.4...:DThe Owners Manual on page 101 says 6.2 (23.5 litters)

There is a mechanical adjustment, that as I understand it is quite time consuming, that involves removing the tank and further removing of the mechanical sensing unit from within the tank; then bending the float arm and taking voltage readings and a case of beer.

I personally live with it and find having a ~ 2.8 gallon reserve (~85 miles) :D comforting at times.

PS: There is no adjustment to the gage. It takes it's reading from the same mal-adjusted internal float as does the idiot light low fuel indicator.

Last edited:
Back