JR

.020 Over
Has anyone tried installing a small front tire? I noticed there's 120/80/17 that I think would mount up. I'm wondering if it might look too small or make the bike handle worse instead of better. It seems my R3 rides stiff over bumps in the highway. I was thinking that lowering the unsprung weight in the front end might make it ride softer and smoother.

JR

It's not just the tire. Ride quality is a function of suspension plus tires. I'd recommend you change the fork oil to a lower number if the ride is too stiff.

As to the tire you can put any width tubless 17" tire on you want, but it's going to affect the handling if it's not the stock size. The stock unit is a 150/80. That means the tire's aspect ratio is 80% of the width. So if you drop to a 120/80 the sidewall is 96mm vice the 120mm of the OEM size. That will cause the front to change rake angle affecting your steering (in this case sharpen it). It also means less flex in the sidewall so the ride quality may actually be worse. I recommend single changes. First change the fork oil and see how it rides. If it improves, then try a tire change. You can also opt for lighter brake calipers and rotors, carbon fiber wheels and start really spending the nest egg to get the unsprung weight reduced.

Yes a 120 70 17 Conti which is off as the wear is just ridiculous!!!! You should look at 130 and try that or Mezt makes a 140 or 145 80 17 if your not wanting to get into a expensive one just to try you could get a cruiser shinko or the Bridgestone excedra max in a 130.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone tried installing a small front tire? I noticed there's 120/80/17 that I think would mount up. I'm wondering if it might look too small or make the bike handle worse instead of better. It seems my R3 rides stiff over bumps in the highway. I was thinking that lowering the unsprung weight in the front end might make it ride softer and smoother.

JR

What kind of suspension do you have and how many miles has it done.

Tried a lower psi in the tyre?

IMO ,the smaller tyre looks awful,take a closer look at the R3Touring or this thread
You will need to move the fender as well.

I think you must be on the wrong website sir I have never heard of anyone round here ever trying to make something smaller

Back