Ride
'06 R3
Getting ready to replace the stock metz on the front in a couple months...As I have gone dark with a Michelin on the rear I would like to go same brand on the front but Michelin only has it in a smaller size 150 70 17 instead of the 150 80 17 metz...would this be a problem?? Avon has the correct size and I read good things about it...so,,any feedback is welcome....thanks

I use a Dunlop D404 out front. The first one didn't feather like the Metz did. The D lasted about 8k miles but I changed it out early due to an expected long trip. 2nd one is doing fine. No problems when running the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway last May.

I've had good luck with the Avon as well as the Metz. 14K on the first Metz 10K so far on the Avon. Now, if only I could get that on the rear.

tdragger said:
I use a Dunlop D404 out front. The first one didn't feather like the Metz did. The D lasted about 8k miles but I changed it out early due to an expected long trip. 2nd one is doing fine. No problems when running the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway last May.

Ditto on the Dunlop. I'm running about 3K on it thus far and it's just now showing the cupping wear. The Metz made it about 6.5K and it was cupped pretty well. Running car tire for the past 4K. No plans to go back on the back, but will be looking for even harder compound for the front. Probably another Dunlop.

Hope it helps.

Don't know why my front Metz is not cupping or has any bad wear other than normal even when I went to Michelin on the back...I have even had occasions when tire pressure was down to 28 and still seemed ok....the choice seems for me to be Michelin Pilot 2 but only available in 150 70 17 (slightly under stock) or Dunlop,, Avon or another Metz..the new Michelin Pilot 2 is a 2 compound blend that has very high performance reviews even if it may be about 1/4 inch lower profile....I'm still open to good reason not to make the wrong choice. Thanks to you captains for your feedback....

Back