Bigj1955

.040 Over
Ride
2016 Rocket 3 Roadster
I have been hearing - yes, through the helmet, over the wind and engine noise - a high pitched whining or hum when I'm banking in either direction at anything over 40MPH. It's pretty nerve wracking when leaning into a turn at 70+ and hearing this noise wondering if the tire is gonna make it?? Anyone else experience anything like this? I don't recall noticing this before I swapped out the stock front Metz for the 140 Avon Cobra

If it's loud humming then I experienced that on every single Metzeler I had once it cups. Sorta telling me "I'm half gone now". Only on leaning.
Never experienced this with the cobra, and I've had 4 so far.

Check for uneven or cupping thread wear with a flashlight.

Check tire pressure and wear. Check your brake components for correct torque. Check the front wheel for bearing slack/play. If all is in order, see if Avon will replace it under warranty.

I would want front end off the ground to check wheel bearing, that it spins freely and with no noise.
Check rotors that nothing is jammed into them and/or calipers. Rotors, for warping.
Tire, for belt separations.
Check tightness of axle and that pinch bolts are snug.
The suggestion above, about lateral movement from the bearing makes a bit of sense.

Perhaps give same checks to rear tire.

The stock Metzeler on mine makes a noticeably different sound when cornering.
Thanks for all the feedback. I think it was an over inflation issue. Since I used to weigh 65 lbs more when I mounted the Avon I had it at 42. Dropping it to 38 mostly eliminated the noise except on hot days when the pressure builds. I brought it in for a mechanical once over and the bearings are good

Back