Front page today's Wall Street Journal: Harley new rider school

Joesmoe

IMOKUR2
Ride
Triumph: 2014 Rocket III Touring
Maybe someone knows how to find the article and post it here ?

SNIP: "About 80% of riders eventually pass."

I used it...I had thought I had taught myself to ride...but you can't teach yourself what you don't know. Anywho, the instructor was top drawer, and we drilled and drilled and drilled until we got it. Everyone did a smashing job on the test, and passed. And we all watched each other, and we know that no one cheated and no one was given special consideration. I will reckon that any particular class is gonna depend on how the camaraderie of the students develops, and how enthusiastic the instructor is. I will put my nephew through it when the time comes and I may take it again myself just because it was darn good fun! I will say that the Harley course was somewhat more complex than the test the State gives, and that is why the State will hand you a license when you pass. In the Harley course we had to do among other things, a slow figure of eight, (state requires only a single complete circle) And a decreasing radius turn at speed with sudden stop, which State does not test on. Of course there were U turns, and avoidance maneuvers similar to what the state tests on.

Last edited:
Here I thought it (HD)was a course to see who is the best at making their bike loud and polishing chrome?

Last edited:
Harley follows the MSF curriculum, same course that I teach at least twice a month, one difference is that the Harley course is five hours longer as they have five hours of propaganda trying to sell bikes to the class, plus we charge$200 the HDclass is $350

Riding since long ago and was never was required to do this. At least 30
years back, I went through a motor cop qualification course that was a challenge.
Since I have become aged, a MSF course would likely be fun and worthwhile for me to do.
Could you supply me a course diagram with measurements? :inlove

We didn't have any sales propaganda, but we did get a one hour tour of the stealership. And you have to admit, most Harley places are palaces, and they love to show off. We went in the shop and all, and they did have to tout their dynamometer. If I would ever buy a Harley, and the Street Rod is something I would ride just to be buzzing around, I would go to this one...since they've always got two or three at least of everything. And they're used aisle often has some screaming bargains.

We didn't have any sales propaganda, but we did get a one hour tour of the stealership. And you have to admit, most Harley places are palaces, and they love to show off. We went in the shop and all, and they did have to tout their dynamometer. If I would ever buy a Harley, and the Street Rod is something I would ride just to be buzzing around, I would go to this one...since they've always got two or three at least of everything. And they're used aisle often has some screaming bargains.

Cannot blame them for trying to sell the goods it is a business after all

Back