Front forks seem to bottom out alot

Elvis

Living the Dream!
Ride
2008 R3T
Went to a couple of bike rallies today and those bumps in the highway where water has froze made my teeth chatter a few times. It sounds like they are bottoming out but there has been no leaks. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix?

What air pressure you running in your tires?

How much extra baggage was you hauling?

Rear shocks adjusted correctly?

What air pressure you running in your tires?

How much extra baggage was you hauling?

Rear shocks adjusted correctly?

running Avon Venoms- 46 rear, 42 front

no extra baggage

rear shocks set just like they were from factory.

you may need to adjust them up
on stb her shockes were adjusted with two different setting if i remember right i think one was adjusted at 2 and the other one was at 4 that was the way it was when we bought the bike

How many miles? Any leaks? Sounds like they're wearing out if they aren't losing oil. Racetech makes a nice upgrade for the R3T forks, and the shocks as well. Might be worth looking into.

Funny this topic came up as I'm about to put a set of "progressive" fork springs in my bike and was wondering what weight fork oil I should be putting in 10 or 15, I weigh about 247 pounds and I have heard it mentioned somewhere that you should up the weight of the fork oil but don't have clue what's in there

running Avon Venoms- 46 rear, 42 front

no extra baggage

rear shocks set just like they were from factory.[/QUOTE]

:eek:WHAT!!:eek: The stock settings will remove your fillings! Crank it up till the bike sags no more than 15mm when you perch your buns in the seat.

Myth: Soft settings make the ride smooth.

Fact: Soft settings reduce the travel limit of the shock so it bottoms out rapidly. If the travel length is 4 inches and you take up 2 inches just sitting on it, hitting a bump reduces the travel to 2 inches, thus making the ride harsh. Increasing preload prevents the static sag (you sitting) from taking too much travel up so the ride smooths out.;)

Funny this topic came up as I'm about to put a set of "progressive" fork springs in my bike and was wondering what weight fork oil I should be putting in 10 or 15, I weigh about 247 pounds and I have heard it mentioned somewhere that you should up the weight of the fork oil but don't have clue what's in there

The stock oil (if memory serves) is a 5. I recommend you go no more than 7.5, otherwise it may feel like you're riding a girder.

Back