FRONT FORKS QUESTION

1olbull

Riding Motor Since 1950
Ride
2012 R3R "Kong" - 2011 R3R "YurMama"
With the exception of the black color,
Are the front forks on the Roadsters the same as those of the earlier Classic and Standard?
Thinking about having the silver on my Roadster.

Bull to make double sure go out side and check to see you have the same hex size on the axle going into the bike from the left side of the wheel. That will let you know if they are the same.

Do not try the hex on the right side of your Wheel as the older bikes do not have that one :D

I bet the outer cylinder is the same only black. So if you try it and end up with a right side fork tube let me know as the Falcon is in need of one.

Bull to make double sure go out side and check to see you have the same hex size on the axle going into the bike from the left side of the wheel. That will let you know if they are the same.

Do not try the hex on the right side of your Wheel as the older bikes do not have that one :D

I bet the outer cylinder is the same only black. So if you try it and end up with a right side fork tube let me know as the Falcon is in need of one.
Did it burn up on re-entry?

Did it burn up on re-entry?
NO when I took it apart to do the forks an area was found that had nickel plate instead of chrome. Nickel being softer does not hold up in the seal areas as well as chrome. :( So I either need to find another set of forks or at least the right side (fork or fork tube) This way I can still build the 05 instead of using it as a donor bike.

The axle direction differs roadster axle goes in from one side and the standard/classic goes in from the other side

I forgot about the axle being reversed. When TC fitted Ponters' Roadster wheels to his bike he had to reverse the spacer but otherwise it fitted straight up. I still wouldn't think there'd be a problem making older forks fit a Roadster; just might need to play around with axle and spacers.

NO when I took it apart to do the forks an area was found that had nickel plate instead of chrome. Nickel being softer does not hold up in the seal areas as well as chrome. :( So I either need to find another set of forks or at least the right side (fork or fork tube) This way I can still build the 05 instead of using it as a donor bike.
You might want to contact @nolton . Squirrel wrecked her bike this week. I don't know if it'll be repaired or totaled.

Darn! Who is Squirrel?
BTW - haven't heard from @nolton in quite awhile!
Hope all is well with the swamp rat.

Perhaps to save grief, I should just remove the black paint???

Darn! Who is Squirrel?
BTW - haven't heard from @nolton in quite awhile!
Hope all is well with the swamp rat.

Perhaps to save grief, I should just remove the black paint???
His wife's friend Frieda. She showed up the last day of RAA. Rides an 08 (I think) Standard, wearing a long denim skirt.

Back