Front Fork Seals/Prog Springs

EasTexRIII

Living Legend
Ride
05 Rocket III
I'm doing the change over to Progressive springs. So I have them apart, new 7W oil, new seals in. the manual says to put oil level at 89 mm from upper edge of fork tube, with fork fully compressed. OR, Alternatively just put in 667 cc's of fluid. In my feeble mind, since the forks were completely drained & all fluid pumped out of the dampers it would be easiest to just add the 667 cc's. Ok - Then it says add the oil & pump fork assy & damper several times to expel air, let settle & measure.
Now, they want you to measure level to 89 mm with fork full compressed.

Here's where I'm confused... The 667 cc's has the level too high after pumping up & time to settle, no problem. Pour a little out. Now, I'm trying to get to the 89 mm. Do they want you to measure with the fork tubes compressed AND the damper rod compressed into the "all the way down" position? or fork tubes compressed AND damper rod pulled out to the "all the way out" position?
The picture in the manual looks like the damper rod is pulled out to the "all the way out" position, which brings the fluid level down quit a few mm's from when the damper rod is in the down, or in position - so it makes me assume that the correct way to the 89 mm measurement is with the fork tubes compressed but the damper rod up, or out..... Is that correct?????? :confused:

Thanks,
Clint

Wish I could help you on this one. When I lived up north I had a suspension guy. Since being in Texas I've not done any fork upgrades.

Mine will be heading the the cycle shop soon to have the same thing done.

I'm sure the guys in the know will be around soon.

Wish I could help you on this one. When I lived up north I had a suspension guy. Since being in Texas I've not done any fork upgrades.

Mine will be heading the the cycle shop soon to have the same thing done.

I'm sure the guys in the know will be around soon.

Thanks Anthony, it's really easy to do n if someone will clarify damper rod up or down I'll be done - don't need triumph tools either. A vice n a ratchet strap. Easy peasy, don't throw your $$$$ away at a shop ;)

Clint when I did mine I decided to try it both ways. I did the left fork with 667 cc and I did the right fork with 89mm. Frankly I just followed the directions in the manual and I can't remember the fine details. I do remember taking a lot of extra time and steps to pump out the old oil to be sure the old oil was out of the forks completely. Now here is the ironic part. The left fork worked out perfectly. The right fork seeped and leaked for a while then dried out and has been fine for 2 years. I think the 667 cc method is the better one because it is more precise and doesn't require being sure where the tube is compressed when you measure. I recommend using the 667 cc method and just be sure to get ALL of the old oil out first.

Clint when I did mine I decided to try it both ways. I did the left fork with 667 cc and I did the right fork with 89mm. Frankly I just followed the directions in the manual and I can't remember the fine details. I do remember taking a lot of extra time and steps to pump out the old oil to be sure the old oil was out of the forks completely. Now here is the ironic part. The left fork worked out perfectly. The right fork seeped and leaked for a while then dried out and has been fine for 2 years. I think the 667 cc method is the better one because it is more precise and doesn't require being sure where the tube is compressed when you measure. I recommend using the 667 cc method and just be sure to get ALL of the old oil out first.

Thanks for the response. My problem is that I did the 667cc on the first one & it was too full. And I know I had pumped out all of the old oil out of the damper as you can feel when all the pressure is gone and I kept pumping it several times even after that. So I have them both at 89mm from top now with the damper rods up like the picture shows, I just want to make sure that's correct before I zip em up :thumbsup:

Thanks for the response. My problem is that I did the 667cc on the first one & it was too full. And I know I had pumped out all of the old oil out of the damper as you can feel when all the pressure is gone and I kept pumping it several times even after that. So I have them both at 89mm from top now with the damper rods up like the picture shows, I just want to make sure that's correct before I zip em up :thumbsup:

Hi Tex, just did my fork seals a while ago and mine leaked for a short time then sealed up. I put the volume in rather than going for the level, tried to check the 89mm from memory to but had trouble measuring it, same thing as you. Worked out OK in the end though.

I'd be interested to here what you think of the front progressive springs, reason is I converted my old T140 Bonneville many years ago and found that, while the bike handled better the ride was a lot bumpier and for general riding the OEM springs gave a nicer ride. I'd thought about getting progressive springs for the R3 but this put me off.

I'm doing the change over to Progressive springs. So I have them apart, new 7W oil, new seals in. the manual says to put oil level at 89 mm from upper edge of fork tube, with fork fully compressed. OR, Alternatively just put in 667 cc's of fluid. In my feeble mind, since the forks were completely drained & all fluid pumped out of the dampers it would be easiest to just add the 667 cc's. Ok - Then it says add the oil & pump fork assy & damper several times to expel air, let settle & measure.
Now, they want you to measure level to 89 mm with fork full compressed.

Here's where I'm confused... The 667 cc's has the level too high after pumping up & time to settle, no problem. Pour a little out. Now, I'm trying to get to the 89 mm. Do they want you to measure with the fork tubes compressed AND the damper rod compressed into the "all the way down" position? or fork tubes compressed AND damper rod pulled out to the "all the way out" position?
The picture in the manual looks like the damper rod is pulled out to the "all the way out" position, which brings the fluid level down quit a few mm's from when the damper rod is in the down, or in position - so it makes me assume that the correct way to the 89 mm measurement is with the fork tubes compressed but the damper rod up, or out..... Is that correct?????? :confused:

Thanks,
Clint

I just put in the correct, measured amount and called it good. Been working fine for two years so far. :D :thumbsup:

Thanks for input guys - I'm baffled that I feel like I drained the forks thoroughly including the dampers by pumping them until they had no pressure and continuing to pump several more strokes afterward (no jokes plz). When I put in the 667cc's I then pumped up the damper thoroughly and after waiting for it to level out it was overfilled, so had to pour a little out and fall back on the level measurement method. With the damper rod up, it sits approx 10mm lower than with the rod down (compressed) - I think the picture is misleading n the rod should be down for the measurement. Anyone know if that's correct?

Update: 89mm from the top with the fork tubes and the damper compressed (down position)
Like others have said before on this forum - Progressive springs make it feel like a completely different bike, so much better in every way, as advertised. The difference is unreal! I think the 7w oil is perfect (for me @ 215 lbs anyway)

Oh yea, I know these work on other applications but THEY DON'T WORK on the Rocket fork seals - once inside the seal, trying to pull it around it would only fold over itself :mad: Not that it was going to solve my problem anyway - But I'm glad because it gave me an excuse to install the Progressive springs :D :D :D :D
IMG_4167[1].JPG

Update: 89mm from the top with the fork tubes and the damper compressed (down position)
Like others have said before on this forum - Progressive springs make it feel like a completely different bike, so much better in every way, as advertised. The difference is unreal! I think the 7w oil is perfect (for me @ 215 lbs anyway)

Oh yea, I know these work on other applications but THEY DON'T WORK on the Rocket fork seals - once inside the seal, trying to pull it around it would only fold over itself :mad: Not that it was going to solve my problem anyway - But I'm glad because it gave me an excuse to install the Progressive springs :D :D :D :D
IMG_4167[1].JPG

Just two comments . . .
1) Glad I bought several of those "Seal Mates"!
2) You will be very glad you installed the Progressive fork springs!

Back