Front fork preload

RichRIII

.040 Over
Ride
14 R3T
image.png
i am another big dude on a tourer. I wanted to ask if anyone has shimmed the front springs to add preload and if so, the results. Back in my dirt bike days certain fork kits came with thick walled pvc to trim and put under the fork caps. Per Race Tech, the bike comes with a .78 rate spring and they recommend a 1.2 with me on it. Having the correct springs helps with breaking, cornering and bumps.

PowerTripp did some work with this back before he retired. Don't think he ever ended up publishing his mods though.

Racetech is certainly a good place to turn :p

Preload will only change the ride height. It does nothing to stiffen the forks. These Race-Tech springs are for Touring models with conventional forks only. The 1.2 rate is not excessive. I would recommend heavier oil to increase dampening to better control stiffer springs.

Thank you. After thinking about this more, for the cost of the springs, I am going to start there. I need to talk to someone about their valves oil height and weight. I wish we had power tripps info.

The maintenance material should say how much oil and what weight. My Suzuki Intruder uses 10 weight as stock, and when I did the seals I switched to 20 weight. It's still a bouncy fork, but a lot less excitable. I do think new springs are the best way to change up how the fork works.

Thank you. After thinking about this more, for the cost of the springs, I am going to start there. I need to talk to someone about their valves oil height and weight. I wish we had power tripps info.
PowerTripps info was for the upside down forks on std and Roadsters. He used a spacer at the bottom of the forks to control the oil flow. It was 1.575" long x 1.5" OD x 1.125" ID with a 1/8" wide slot .08" deep along the outside. 1.575" was removed from the tubular spacer at the top of the spring to compensate. This was in conjunction with a set of progressive brand springs.

Back