Front break question with ABS

motolink

Nitrous
Ride
2011 Roadster and 2001 Bonneville
I was coming down a mountain road the other day and was constantly using the front break only and was experiencing a shudder like a disc was warped but as soon as I was on the flat road there was no more shudder.

The shudder was coming through the bike not the break lever, would this be the ABS working.

It's not happened again but I have not been down a mountain road.

You checked the pads , not glazed are they. It's sometimes hard to 'see' glazed pads without removing them.

Seems odd Jim. When the brakes are cold, can you wiggle them? The outer disc should "float" or move on the carriers. This movement allows them to self-center in the caliper off setting any effects from excessive heating and/or warping due to heat. They can "rattle" a bit which sometimes feels a bit like a shudder. This is normal but can be a bit disconcerting. Perhaps that is what you were feeling. Provided the bars weren't wobbling you probably have nothing to worry about.

I will try a deglaze and see how that goes. It only shuddered when I was on the front break only going down the mountain, thought it might have been an ABS thing.

Lost my back brake twice after spirited riding through mountain ranges. Never had the front brakes go on me though. My bikes a non-abs model.

Back