Front Brake Sound Normal?

RockOn

Turbocharged
Ride
2006 R3 Classic, 2008 R3T, 2009 Harley Ultra
Now that I've had my bike for a few weeks and put a few hundred miles on it I'm starting to notice something I was oblivious to before. When I use the front brake on my '06 Rocket classic I hear a very distinct, "shushhhhhh" sound. It isn't a grinding or squealing sound but not sure it is normal. There is about a 1/4" of material left on each of the 4 pads. The braking feels perfectly normal and effective.

My previous bikes have been Honda's and Harley's with either frame mounted or handlebar mounted full fairings and I've never heard any brake sounds from any of them. Maybe the sound I hear is normal and I hear it because I have just a windshield now instead of a fairing to block the sound???

Ok it a 06 few u=years no matter home many miles I suspect less is worse sometimes . If you look at your disc they are attached to a mounting plats with something that looks like rivets can't think of the name to much corn :) they should be loose give the a rap with something not metallic that will damage them like a screw driver in reverses so the handle hits the rivets. if some oar frozen/corroded the will make the caliper beach a little. Or maybe retract the pistons fully as the crust up and create chatter from uneveen pressure

My Harley front brake use to squeal and make a most embarrassing sound every time I stopped. I complained to the dealership and they said that is normal. The only way to stop it was to put on a floating disk (the kind with the rivets). That solved my problem.

What you are hearing is normal as well as pretty minimal. My hearing is not what it use to be so maybe I just don't hear it anymore.

Hey Rock, it won't hurt to replace the pads. Keep the ones you have for spares. Look up Flipmeister. He is a member and sells pads and other neat stuff. I have been very satisfied with his stuff.

sales@flipmeisters.com

Last edited:
Back