Front brake pulsing after changing pads / tires

Ragnar

Standard Bore
Ride
2006 Rocket classic
Hi
My front brakes did not give any bite they were applied, but all was nice an smooth.

Bought some new pad and new tires (Avon Cobra Crhome) and got the shop to change both.

The guy at the shop told me that the rotors had been quite blue on spots but he had tried to clean them up.

Well pads and tires where changed and the brakes worked 10x better and the bike was a dream to drive on the new Avons.

But here is my trouble. Even though the brakes work well they produce quite a shutter / pulsing when applied at speed.

So my question is: Do I need to replace the front rotors or are there some other things to consider before?

Some additional info:
2006 Classic
The bike has done 17þ miles
Both front and rear tires were quite cupped
The former owner had used the bike to tow a trailer.

Cheers Ragnar

The shudder could be from a warped disc rotor, if they have blue spots which is heat than the rotor might the problem. It’s easy for the bike shop to check.

He said 06 classic so no abs
It could be the brake pads itself give it a few miles and see if it gets better

Sounds like a warped rotor or you got defective pads. Its hard to imagine your front brakes getting so hot as to blue the metal. But who knows if it was pulling a trailer.

Sixty-one as of today.

Sounds like a warped rotor or you got defective pads. Its hard to imagine your front brakes getting so hot as to blue the metal. But who knows if it was pulling a trailer.

R3 rotors are tough buggers. Check that all your pistons have extended against the back of the pad, a sticky one can cause a wobble. The likely culprits are the rear smaller pistons since they're not coated the same as the front ones.

It's possible, but, unlikely they're warped from heat.

This rotor didn't warp:
FB_IMG_1560389012949.jpg

Nor did this one, same part number, different bike:
20190612_193010.jpg

Last edited:
It's possible, but, unlikely they're warped from heat.
VERY VERY unlikely on any thermally isolated disc (aka semi or fully floating). The solid rear is another matter all together.

Pretty much the main cause of discs "warping" I have seen is due to mishandling. Loads of folk rest their wheels against the discs when they're removed from the bike (for whatever reason - though during tyre changes is a real classic). With semi floating discs this can "just" shift a bobbin and requires a good session of heat cycling (HEAVY BRAKING) to bed in again.

But! - young sir is mistreating his lovely Triumph Discs. Despite the Titanium bolts!. ;) - Go and stand in the naughty corner.

I had removed the front wheel to change the tire and it fell over on its side.
After that I had the same pulsing you describe.
That drop was enough to bend my very expensive Galfer wavy rotors and they had to be replaced.

The service tech may have done the same. No way to prove that.

I had removed the front wheel to change the tire and it fell over on its side.
After that I had the same pulsing you describe.
That drop was enough to bend my very expensive Galfer wavy rotors and they had to be replaced.

The service tech may have done the same. No way to prove that.

Unlucky!

Have you checked that the floating disc components are not seized or choked by road muck. Had same on GSX1400 but turned all collars and the discs were fine - flew through an MOT

Back