Front Bearings siezed

Boog

Traveling Story Teller
Ride
2014 R3T, RAMAIR, Full Viking Dual exhaust
If you read my report on the R1200GS Adv, I mentioned I got to ride that bike due to my front bearings being seized. I did not realize this when I turned it in for the 30K check up and new tires. However, I did notice that my mileage had recently dropped dramtically. I figured that was due to throttle bodies needing adjusted, maybe it is due to extra friction too.
The guys at MOD showed me the issue and no kidding they were completely stuck and couldn’t be moved even with a tool. I asked why this happened and Rean told me it is due to high miles. (Okay, maybe that’s it). I asked how I could prevent this and Michael tells me that the only thing I can do is wash it more often. I admit that I have given up on the wheels when it comes to washing these particular units and usually just spray them with the hose, but is there anything else that you guys know of that I can do to prevent this in the future. Most of you know I ride year round and rain doesn’t worry me much. Thanks in advance for your input.

That answer doesn't fly for me. ..80k plus on my '07 Rocket and still smooth. Probably a dry bearing from the factory, if I had to guess.

Boog,

Those are sealed bearings and as such shouldn't require more washing to prevent seizing....if anything adding more water will contribute to seizing. You probably had a dry bearing or a pinched grease seal that allowed the bearing to become contaminated. All you can do is check them for play and rolling resistance the odd time. Replace as required.

Boog I do not know if it rings true with Triumphs but Harley Davidson went to a narrow wheel bearing to accommodate the ABS system. The bearings only last about 25,000 to 30,000. It may just be that Triumph did the same with their bikes. If that be so 30,000 is about it. Ceramic bearing are a complete waste of money. The water thing really makes no sense at all. :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

my front wheel bearings went out on my 06 at probably 15,000 miles..made a hell of a racket but just sometimes. drove me crazy until I found out what it was. thought it was the brakes. replaced 'em and all was well.

Back