Front axle help.

Jenko

and Ruby
Ride
2005 Rocket 3
Ok so I have a question regarding the thread of the Front axle.
I have a 2005 standard
My axle feeds in from the left side (kerbside in aus), the only video I can find is a much newer roadster and the axle feeds from the right hand side and is a standard left hand thread (lefty loosey) which makes sense as the rotation would essentially tighten it if the security bolts fail.
I could not get mine undone today and it wasn't until now (several hours later and very dark outside), that I have come to think perhaps mines is going to be right handed thread (righty loosey). Again this would be the opposite direction to the wheel rotation.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I am not sure about that, but don't remember anyone saying they had left hand threads. Try it with the right hand threads. Also, it may have Loctite on it. If so, heat it for 30 seconds with Mapp gas (hotter than propane and faster, ask any plumber), and that will put the Loctite back in liquid form. That's IF it has a thread sealer on it. I doubt it does.
Good luck and keep us posted

You have a standard thread on the 07 turn it left ccw to unscrew..You have undone the 2 punch bolts on the left hand fork.
Yep undone the 2 bolts. Maybe I just need a bigger bar. The rattle gun was not even close

On the roadster its right hand thread. Allen and a pipe comes straight off. Turn counterclock wise as viewed from the bolt head.
20180710_193415.jpg

On my Touring it's right hand thread as was my 07 Classic. It makes sense that it would be a left hand thread if the axle entered from the left. I's almost as if the forks have been switched at some time during the life of the bike through. If so, it's a right hand thread. It might also explain why thread locker might have been used.

On the roadster its right hand thread. Allen and a pipe comes straight off. Turn counterclock wise as viewed from the bolt head.
20180710_193415.jpg
Yeah it's also on the other side to mine. Which is why I am thinking mine could be clockwise....

On my Touring it's right hand thread as was my 07 Classic. It makes sense that it would be a left hand thread if the axle entered from the left. I's almost as if the forks have been switched at some time during the life of the bike through. If so, it's a right hand thread. It might also explain why thread locker might have been used.
I did have the "switched" thought but the 2 bolts at the bottom would then be backwards and they are not. the calliper mount holes would be backwards and they are not.

It's a Triumph thing. And I don't think they ever had a left hand thread on anything. I'm not quite sure when they switched, but the early years front axle come in from one side, and at some point of manufacture, they switched to the other side. I have both, and both are standard right hand thread. Counter clockwise to loosen.:)

It's a Triumph thing. And I don't think they ever had a left hand thread on anything. I'm not quite sure when they switched, but the early years front axle come in from one side, and at some point of manufacture, they switched to the other side. I have both, and both are standard right hand thread. Counter clockwise to loosen.:)
That's the answer I've been waiting for. ... Bigger bar it is.......

Back