Front and Back Signal Indicators Out (on right side)

Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
My ’11 Roadster already had LEDs installed when I bought it, so I’m not sure exactly what the setup is. Recently I changed the rear stock housings that had LED bulbs with new LED housings. I had everything working for a while, but now both signal lights on the right side are out.

I hooked up an old switch I had and got the same results, so the switch is not the issue. All fuses are good.

Pulled the front bulb and tested for voltage with right blinker on and not getting anything, so not the bulb. So, it appears that neither the front or back right side are getting juice.

What would cause both front and back of *just one side* to go out?

Last edited:
Studying the diagram for the Roadster. It appears from what I understand that I must have a break on the green/white wire between the switch and where the hot wire for the front and rear split (if it were after the split it would only affect one light).

Does anyone know where I can find that split on the harness so I know where my start and end points are for the broken wire (yellow highlight)?

IF I'm understanding the diagram- the problem is after the switch. Am I correct in thinking that the flasher can not affect just one side of signal lights?

Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 10.14.10 PM.png

Last edited:
Well, this is obviously a cliffhanger for everyone. Next time I'll make a post asking what kind of oil I should use :banghead:

I'll go ahead and post a conclusion in case someone else has the same problem and comes across this post.

Long story short, it was the switch. My old switch must have had the same problem (which is strange/coincidence), but I took apart the new (used from Pinwall) switch and cleaned the contacts and put in a little dialectic grease and both blinkers, front and back now work.

Update- NOPE! Checked this morning. Left worked, right out, then left out and horn out too. Fuse looked OK, but has to be blown. Had to get to work - hand signals. Suspect ground fault. More later....

Warning- if you attempt to take apart the signal switch be super careful. There are four tiny springs, mini ball bearings beneath them, two larger springs, four copper contacts, and a small metal bar. All this wants to go flying once you open up the switch. Open slowly and maybe lay a sheet down under the bike beforehand in case you need to locate one of these parts. Lose one and you're out of business.

Also, the wiring diagram is simplified. There are two live wires coming in to the switch (both orange). The right signal is a grey wire exiting the switch when activated by the adjacent orange wire. The green wire actives the left signals once connected to the orange wire next to it.

IMG_4051.JPG

Motul 7100

Last edited:
use your test light
for checking ground circuit hook clamp to bat posi post when u touch a ground it will light up
for checking positive circuit hook clamp to bat negative post when u touch a positive circuit it will light up
narrow down the problem by checking that switch and also checking at bulb sockets.
if the probe has a long uncovered area i would suggest putting a vacuum hose over it so only tip will show and will not short out
(a non carbon hose)

I was headed in that direction when I thought I had it. I think I may have a grounded positive wire somewhere. Will the voltage drop on that wire if that's what's happening?

I would also check along the wires that run inside of the signal / auxiliary light support bracket for shorts, and maybe confirm that the LED lights are wired with the correct polarity. They do weird things when they're not, and the way they misbehave may not always be consistent thanks to the computer-y parts

if u ground a positive wire without a bulb or resistance it will blow the fuse or worse it may do damage to the circuit.
by using test light u r not apt to hurt the circuit.

I have blinkers. As always with me, there seem to be multiple things at work. I ordered an LED compatible flasher unit that came yesterday and pulled the Signal Minder. That brought back the left blinkers. I rewired the right rear blinker and, bam, now I have all blinkers working again. My horn went out when this happened and is still out. I suspect a problem in the new/used harness from Pinwall. When I got it I noticed the sheath had a small tear- inside a couple of wires were completely severed and another two looked questionable. Rather than return it I repaired it and probably one of the wires I assumed was OK, but is not, is the horn. I'll start with the test light at the switch and go from there...

Thanks to all...

Cleaned the contacts and flipped the spring right way around (I admit my goofs :banghead: ) and now I have sound!

Next opportunities for me to get in trouble with electronics:
Wire rear signals as markers to license plate light (currently out), replace heated grips (just in time for warmer weather), and run charging cord to iPhone.

One thing I'm learning is to do one thing at a time, so when things go wrong I have a fighting chance....

Back