From mothballs to road worthy

Yachmoo

Standard Bore
Ride
2005 Rocket III
Hello,
I have an 05' R3 that has been sitting. Its finally time to bring it back to life. I have the Rims going to a shop to get the tires changes. I'm changing all the fluids. I've emptied the gas tank, cleaned it and filled if with fresh gas. Anyone got any tips or things I should check before I turn it over?

Adam

I have seen this TV guy that buys exotic barn finds squirt some Mystery oil in the cylinders and turning it without plugs a few times. This should also prime the oil conduits in the motor with fresh oil. I would also fill the oil filter with as much oil as possible to avoid starting the motor and having to wait for the filter to fill before sprayers get going inside.

Good luck. If you can make a video for us.

Hello,
I have an 05' R3 that has been sitting. Its finally time to bring it back to life. I have the Rims going to a shop to get the tires changes. I'm changing all the fluids. I've emptied the gas tank, cleaned it and filled if with fresh gas. Anyone got any tips or things I should check before I turn it over?

Adam
Hello R3 folks!

Happy Easter. I managed to get my bike registers, insured and inspected. I still have some things left to do. This is prior to me getting it to inspection. I had to disassemble it again to get some pieces back on and now I'm going through and greasing all the gears and shafts. It took a while for it to start, I imagine it was because of the gas that was drained. I hope to have it road worthy by next weekend. all the paint is pretty trashed but I think I'll wait until next winter to rip it off and have it all painted. If I can figure out how to get the video of me starting it I'll post it as well.

Regards,

Adam

Attachments

• PXL_20220415_170556563.jpg
    PXL_20220415_170556563.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 23
Nice job! Sounds good. The paint doesn't look too bad from the pictures. Go over it with some Meguiars ultimate compound and then a coat or two of a good quality wax. The compound will really bring some life back to the paint.

Back