FlyBD5

Standard Bore
Hello, fresh meat here, considering trading an 1989 Harley FLHS for a 2006 R3. Was wondering if I could get some input from experienced owners... Am told by the owner that...

1. I'll spend $850/yr for tires.
2. The only way I will do simple maintenance like plugs myself is if I have all day to spend on disassembling half the bike just to get to the plugs.
3. Bike will cook you on hot days because of the hot air coming out of the radiator (but will keep you comfy in winter).
4. Gel seat will cook your gonads in summer.
5. Gas mileage sucks, hence the humungous tank.
6. 0 to 100 in a little over 4 seconds. Can get away from you if you're not totally focused.
7. It makes for a decent cruiser if you set it up correctly (my biggest interest in it).
8. Jardine exhaust and Power Commander raises BHP to 160hp?

In other words, sounds like one of those drop-dead-gorgeous Italian girlfriends, but you'll have to work and pay for the privilege. I am familiar with this situation, as I finished building a BD-5J microjet and hold the Guinness record for the world's smallest jet, but I'd like to bounce this on owners for confirmation and any additional caveats? And no, I have never owned a British bike before, mostly because I associate them with Land Rovers and what has historically been substandard quality. I did learn to drive in Triumph Spitfire, though... :)

Hello, fresh meat here, considering trading an 1989 Harley FLHS for a 2006 R3. Was wondering if I could get some input from experienced owners... Am told by the owner that...

1. I'll spend $850/yr for tires.
2. The only way I will do simple maintenance like plugs myself is if I have all day to spend on disassembling half the bike just to get to the plugs.
3. Bike will cook you on hot days because of the hot air coming out of the radiator (but will keep you comfy in winter).
4. Gel seat will cook your gonads in summer.
5. Gas mileage sucks, hence the humungous tank.
6. 0 to 100 in a little over 4 seconds. Can get away from you if you're not totally focused.
7. It makes for a decent cruiser if you set it up correctly (my biggest interest in it).
8. Jardine exhaust and Power Commander raises BHP to 160hp?

In other words, sounds like one of those drop-dead-gorgeous Italian girlfriends, but you'll have to work and pay for the privilege. I am familiar with this situation, as I finished building a BD-5J microjet and hold the Guinness record for the world's smallest jet, but I'd like to bounce this on owners for confirmation and any additional caveats? And no, I have never owned a British bike before, mostly because I associate them with Land Rovers and what has historically been substandard quality. I did learn to drive in Triumph Spitfire, though... :)

G'day Welcome from Oz... you are sure about this ? judging by your list of points you sound hesitant :confused:

I would be careful with an 06 they did have a few teething problems that can be expensive.. 09 upwards is a better choice.

Yes there is an cost involved as an owner but I and the others will tell you if you are a true biker it is more than worth the upkeep cost :D

Why else would we all be here ;) :cool:

G'day Welcome from Oz... you are sure about this ? judging by your list of points you sound hesitant :confused:

I would be careful with an 06 they did have a few teething problems that can be expensive.. 09 upwards is a better choice.

Yes there is an cost involved as an owner but I and the others will tell you if you are a true biker it is more than worth the upkeep cost :D

Why else would we all be here ;) :cool:

The current owner decided to go for full disclosure, because he thinks this bike is not for everyone (isn't that the case for all bikes?). Karma has its way of finding your rear end, eventually, and frankly I am the same way. If something is not for you I'd rather you found out before buying than after. The bike also has 24,000 miles, which IMO means it has been well broken in and any issues resolved.

The current owner decided to go for full disclosure, because he thinks this bike is not for everyone (isn't that the case for all bikes?). Karma has its way of finding your rear end, eventually, and frankly I am the same way. If something is not for you I'd rather you found out before buying than after. The bike also has 24,000 miles, which IMO means it has been well broken in and any issues resolved.

So long as you are happy with it.. good luck hope all goes well.. enjoy:)

Tthe Rocket is a different ride from your HD. Early ones had a few teething problems but with the mileage listed you should be okay. If it was not already done you need to add an Eastern Beaver headlight relay.

1. I'll spend $850/yr for tires. Rear tires seem to last 5 to 8,000 miles. How far/hard you ride will determine your tire costs.
2. The only way I will do simple maintenance like plugs myself is if I have all day to spend on disassembling half the bike just to get to the plugs. Simple maintenance is no harder than many other current bikes.Just raise the tank and move intake plumbing out of way - no body panels to remove.
3. Bike will cook you on hot days because of the hot air coming out of the radiator (but will keep you comfy in winter). I have ridden other hotter bikes.
4. Gel seat will cook your gonads in summer. Gel seats do absorb heat more than the stock set.
5. Gas mileage sucks, hence the humungous tank. Milage should be mid to high 30's depending on riding style.
6. 0 to 100 in a little over 4 seconds. Can get away from you if you're not totally focused. Never timed it, but it will surprise you the first few times you take off hard.
7. It makes for a decent cruiser if you set it up correctly (my biggest interest in it). True
8. Jardine exhaust and Power Commander raises BHP to 160hp? Also need the triple filters.

:)

Tthe Rocket is a different ride from your HD. Early ones had a few teething problems but with the mileage listed you should be okay. If it was not already done you need to add an Eastern Beaver headlight relay.

mine is a 2006 with 28 000 miles and trouble free from day one although installed the EB headlight kit early on.

You can keep tire costs down buy going dark side. You'll get 50% improvement in fuel economy simply riding with your Harley buddies (most of your time spent off-throttle, trust me it really works). And you can change plugs in about 20 minutes if you know how to raise the gas tank (put iridiums in and you won't have to worry about them for about 100,000 miles). Other than that, take it for a spin. Just yank the fun handle hard enough to convince yourself either you can't live with it, or you can't live without it. :cool:

Ifalian girls are expensive to mantein, thats why i kept my ninja250. Problem solved

Mine is a 2004 with 76k+ miles. Spark plugs aren't that big of a pain. There are 6 though and you will need the thinwall socket in the tool kit. For tires, Brisgestone makes a 240/55 series that can be bought for about $16910 and lasts longer than moth the Metz and Avon 240 series. I run a Bridgestone G701 on the front whcih was an OEM GoldWing front tire of some year. I got about 12-15k miles iut of Avons.. and these Bridgestones seem to last lo.ger than that. Most of my riding is highway at about 70-80 mph, but of course I let her loose on occaision.

If the cost of fuel and tyres are important factors for you, this is the wrong bike. Maybe try something with one less zero in the engine capacity.
Only a small proportion of us think that putting a car tyre on is a good idea.
You'll never have to move the intake plumbing if you get rid of it.
Don't fit a gel seat or if you do don't park in the sun in summer.
You can add all the doodads you want but you won't see 160hp without the correct tune.
Triumph has been making the worlds best motorcycles since 1902. They know how to make a cruiser.

One question. Have you ridden the thing? If you have, then the answers to your questions are irrelevant. You either want it or you don't.

Welcome to the site by the way.

Back