Found the Bazzztid

Wrecka

Living Legend
Ride
2013 R3R
Some of you will know i been chasing my tail in circles trying to work out why my bike on occasion runs like sheeit and has been getting worse. Took tank off today to change out the fuel filter, holy crap i was amazed by how much sludgy goo was settled in the bottom of the tank.......

Anyway started following all vacum lines looking for splits etc: that could be source of running issues , no luck so then i got a torch and had a good look at the rubber boots from head that connect to the throttle bodies and FKN BINGO , front clamp was slipped off and rubber split . Funny thing is this bike has had intermittent backfire through the OEM air box , ram air filter and current 3 x filter setup , has gotten worse over time , seems to me the throttle body was never fitted correctly to the rubber from factory and has cause the rubber to split and crack over time , other two boots are in perfect condition.

Following are pics taken as i assessed the issue and removed the throttle bodies , also pics down each inlet port showing the tops of the valves , interesting thing here is the front valves ( the intake with the rooted boot ) are relatively clean and free of built up gunk , the rear two intake valves are really gunkked up bad , what causes this and can i use an additive in fuel to help it clean itself ?

Oh yeah also in dire need of the front head to throttle body boot if anyone from Bris to Gold Coast have spare they'd like to sell, would be a life saver.

Some of you will know i been chasing my tail in circles trying to work out why my bike on occasion runs like sheeit and has been getting worse. Took tank off today to change out the fuel filter, holy crap i was amazed by how much sludgy goo was settled in the bottom of the tank.......

Anyway started following all vacum lines looking for splits etc: that could be source of running issues , no luck so then i got a torch and had a good look at the rubber boots from head that connect to the throttle bodies and FKN BINGO , front clamp was slipped off and rubber split . Funny thing is this bike has had intermittent backfire through the OEM air box , ram air filter and current 3 x filter setup , has gotten worse over time , seems to me the throttle body was never fitted correctly to the rubber from factory and has cause the rubber to split and crack over time , other two boots are in perfect condition.

Following are pics taken as i assessed the issue and removed the throttle bodies , also pics down each inlet port showing the tops of the valves , interesting thing here is the front valves ( the intake with the rooted boot ) are relatively clean and free of built up gunk , the rear two intake valves are really gunkked up bad , what causes this and can i use an additive in fuel to help it clean itself ?

Oh yeah also in dire need of the front head to throttle body boot if anyone from Bris to Gold Coast have spare they'd like to sell, would be a life saver.
Good catch! Thanks for the post and pic's. I agree it looks like the original installation rolled the edge over.

I might suggest an occasional use of Marvel mystery oil in your gas tank. It does seem to work on the fuel system. I also use it, or diesel fuel, as a flush just prior to changing the oil. I have used up to a quart of diesel fuel in a 12 quart oil capacity in a diesel engine. I like to have the engine reasonably warm and run it for a couple of minutes. But, you do not want to dilute the engine oil too much.

Also, application of "Sea Foam" in the throttle bodies will help to remove carbon deposits. Spraying it in there, letting it sit for an extended time might help clean things up in there, especially if they transferred past the filter from the junk in the tank. After letting it sit, start your engine and spray small amounts directly into the throttle bodies. This often has a beneficial effect on idling. Sea Foam is especially useful in small gasoline engines which have not been run for an extended period which have old gas in the tank which was not treated with a preservative agent.

Ya got a stutter going on tonight buddy?

:) ;)

bob

Thanks Robert. I do not know how that happened. :confused:
I be riding up to see Nels tomorrow for a fresh dyno now that I have the Ram Air instead of the RU2780 K&Ns.
Heading out for SoCal April Fools. A tad nervous because I have made many mods over the winter and had NO chance for a decent test ride. :oops:
Hopefully the 100 mile rip up to Nels' and back shall be enough . . .
Hope all is well with you and you're all ready for the coming season.
Are you coming to RAA in July. On our way, we'll be cruizin thru Spokanistan and looking either for you or a brew, preferably both! :D

Can't make the RAA but may ride a ways with you. Give me a week or so notice when you are coming through and I will make sure I am available for a run to a bar or two. There is still one you didn't get to last time. Curley's Hauser Junction - Home

bob

Back