Zonechamp

Supercharged
Ride
2009 Rocket 3 Standard
So I installed the forward controls offered by Refined Cycle and rode them about 500km over the weekend. The install was quick which took about 45min with basic sockets and wrenches. And I can also tell you the uninstall took about 20 min. Not impressed, not even a little. To me the engineering on these controls is about 80% complete, almost there but not quite. These things are WEAK! You can push the pegs back and forth without even trying. The brake side is especially dismal, the mounting bracket flexes up to 1/2" with a simple push of the brake peddle . The brake peddle travel is double stock simply because of the flex in the mounting system and the travel of the actuation rod. In a panic situation such as being cut off in traffic I guarantee these pegs will fail and bend. Others that have them can argue but if I can flex them at rest my 285lb body will absolutely destroy these when hurled forward. On the upside the shifter works well and I liked the new shifter peddle and linkage, very crisp shifting. The whole point of me putting on the forward controls was to lower my knees closer to the ground to have less angle on my hips. These did nothing of the sort. My knee is the same height so the pressure on my hips is the same. So if anyone is interested I'll sell them to you cheap. Sorry for the dark after pic but that's all I have.
20160629_163812.jpg
20160705_154843.jpg

I see all the photos on the website show them fitted to both the std and later Roadster models with the rails removed. At first I was confused and then noticed your 1st photo is before with stock controls and 2nd photo after fitting.
FC17-Forward Controls for Triumph Rocket III Roadster, Standard & Rocket X

Re flexing, would a little reinforcement welded to the inside of the fittings, pedals etc so it out of view help?

I was really interested until I saw you cannot use them with front tipover/crash bars which have saved me a fortune and embarrassment once or twice already.

Good luck, and shouldn't be hard to shift especially if they fit a Roadster too as there are plenty of riders who do not like crash bars and the Roadster std pegs and controls are well back to what many a used too.

I've been told you can contact them to send the brake side bracket back and they will send you a new one that has been reinforced so no flex...

I've been told you can contact them to send the brake side bracket back and they will send you a new one that has been reinforced so no flex...

RocketMan3, thanks for posting that - I hadn't visited the Refined Cycle website since buying my kit in the spring. Here is their statement:

"Please read this note about our FC17 Forward Controls for the Triumph Rocket III. For those that have heard the right side flexed a bit and felt a little "soft" when braking, we have added a gusset which makes them feel much more solid. This was not a safety issue, just a response to our customers in an effort to make our product the best possible! For those who purchased them before the change, please contact us about swapping out the right side bracket at no charge!"

I have used the Refined Cycle FC17 Rocket forward controls for the last 7k miles. For me (6-2, 200lb, 34/35 inseam) they make a huge difference in hip and knee flex, and will be staying on the bike. I hate the excessive flexing on both sides, and I had to remove the Triumph Dresser Bars because of interference, so I have some work to do. But....the absence of pain in my hips is worth the inconvenience! I should add that my saddle (Russell Day-Long) is about 3" taller than stock, and puts my seat pocket about 2" forward of stock. I also have a backrest, picture attached. Russell did a great job on the seat. I like to be forward and high on the bike (this is my first cruiser bike, maybe I'll adapt in time...??). The picture shows the brake side forward control, showing how the peg is hanging out there on a bent piece of 1/4" steel plate. Pushing gently on the peg moves it 1".

So here are the planned fixes:

Foot controls - Multiple gussets. Start with four (4) 1/4" thick steel gussets, about 3" x 3", cutting them down as needed for clearance. I will have my welding buddy install one these on each of the 90 degree bends in the left and right side brackets. I'll add more gussets as needed, and when I'm happy they're stiff enough, I'll re powder coat. I plan to leave the rest of the setup alone.

Dresser bars - The stock Triumph bars will be thoroughly violated. At the top they will be cut and re-angled, sweeping them forwards around the feet. My welder buddy will help with installing steel slugs and additional tube sections. At the bottom of each, the flat brackets will be replaced by much longer ones, reaching back to the stock mounting points. A lot of lateral stiffness is going to be lost with these changes, so I will have to fabricate some kind of connecting brace between the halves, in front of the water pump. That way both bars will share the force of a drop on either side. One of the German crash bar companies does this...can't remember which. I''m not sure of how well all of this will work, or how ugly it will look, but I definitely want to put some tip-over protection back on the bike before I drop it bike and break my new forward controls. Black powder coat on the finished job will help to hide the ugliness, I hope.

IMG_3314 10%.jpg IMG_3315 10%.jpg

RocketMan3, thanks for posting that - I hadn't visited the Refined Cycle website since buying my kit in the spring. Here is their statement:

"Please read this note about our FC17 Forward Controls for the Triumph Rocket III. For those that have heard the right side flexed a bit and felt a little "soft" when braking, we have added a gusset which makes them feel much more solid. This was not a safety issue, just a response to our customers in an effort to make our product the best possible! For those who purchased them before the change, please contact us about swapping out the right side bracket at no charge!"

I have used the Refined Cycle FC17 Rocket forward controls for the last 7k miles. For me (6-2, 200lb, 34/35 inseam) they make a huge difference in hip and knee flex, and will be staying on the bike. I hate the excessive flexing on both sides, and I had to remove the Triumph Dresser Bars because of interference, so I have some work to do. But....the absence of pain in my hips is worth the inconvenience! I should add that my saddle (Russell Day-Long) is about 3" taller than stock, and puts my seat pocket about 2" forward of stock. I also have a backrest, picture attached. Russell did a great job on the seat. I like to be forward and high on the bike (this is my first cruiser bike, maybe I'll adapt in time...??). The picture shows the brake side forward control, showing how the peg is hanging out there on a bent piece of 1/4" steel plate. Pushing gently on the peg moves it 1".

So here are the planned fixes:

Foot controls - Multiple gussets. Start with four (4) 1/4" thick steel gussets, about 3" x 3", cutting them down as needed for clearance. I will have my welding buddy install one these on each of the 90 degree bends in the left and right side brackets. I'll add more gussets as needed, and when I'm happy they're stiff enough, I'll re powder coat. I plan to leave the rest of the setup alone.

Dresser bars - The stock Triumph bars will be thoroughly violated. At the top they will be cut and re-angled, sweeping them forwards around the feet. My welder buddy will help with installing steel slugs and additional tube sections. At the bottom of each, the flat brackets will be replaced by much longer ones, reaching back to the stock mounting points. A lot of lateral stiffness is going to be lost with these changes, so I will have to fabricate some kind of connecting brace between the halves, in front of the water pump. That way both bars will share the force of a drop on either side. One of the German crash bar companies does this...can't remember which. I''m not sure of how well all of this will work, or how ugly it will look, but I definitely want to put some tip-over protection back on the bike before I drop it bike and break my new forward controls. Black powder coat on the finished job will help to hide the ugliness, I hope.

IMG_3314 10%.jpg IMG_3315 10%.jpg

I should point out that my bike is a Roadster, which began life with footpegs 4" further back tha the original Rocket footpeg position. The transition from Roadster and Refined Cycle peg positions is much larger (probably 2x) compared to going from original Rocket position to the Refined Cycle position.
The Roadster's rearward peg position might be preferred by shorter guys, but gave me constant hip pain and cramping with the stock seat.

Good to know they have revised the design. I'm 6'4, there are times I sit on the roadster and have no pain other times, I hate it. I have the Rivco highway pegs that mount to the peg rails, but don't really like my feet that far away from the controls while in wonderful Houston traffic.

These may be the next purchase.

I am/was 6'2"....broken back and aging seems to have made an inch or so disappear, but my legs are leggy as they ever were.....and will say that my R3T is the height of comfort, between the boards or the highway pegs I am good for many hours. But I think the fact the other bikes I've had were considerable more errr....cramped....the R3T comes out seeming just right. Corbin seat helps too.

Back