Forty Thousand Dollar Bike and No Warrenty

T Evans

Supercharged
I purchased my Rocket last summer and found that it was in need of the upgrade kit. I drove the bike to Performance Cycles in OKC, OK and they test drove the bike and agreed. They called Triumph and got the approval to do the needed repairs UNDER WARRENTY. This is an 06 Triumph that had 11k miles on it and I had just purchased it used off Ebay. They not only installed the upgrade but while they were there they found a small scratch on one of the main bearings which really amounted to nothing. They replace all the mains and the mechanic didn't like the look and feel of the drive shaft and u joint so it got a new one of those also. All at NO COST TO ME.

Now I have a riding buddy that just purchsed a new Harley Sreamin Eagle Ultra Classic this last summer and dropped close to 40K for it. Thats what I said FORTY THOUSAND DOLLARS. Now don't get me wrong it is a very nice bike and he is very proud of it.
Here a month or so ago he had a few minor issues that needed some attention so he called the place where he purchased the bike in Tulsa, Route 66 Harley, and was told to just bring it by and they would work him in as soon as he got there.

He called to let them know he was getting ready to leave and make the hundred mile drive over and was told to come on over. He had told them that he had a slight shimmy in the front on decel and one of the little tail lights that THEY had installed wasn't working and the headlight had started to fog over like the seal had been broken.

After 5 hours of setting in their waiting room and being thouroghly mad about the wait he was enduring, they brought his bike out and gave him his BILL!! He asked what it was for and they informed him that NONE of it was covered by warrenty. You can just about imagine what his response was. They adjusted the neck and found a loose ground wire on the tail light. They said that the head light wasn't a covered item. He asked to see the manager and was told again that none of the work was covered under any warrenty. He paid his bill, something like 300 dollars or so. and drove home IN THE DARK.

He sat down and wrote a nice long letter to Mr. Harley Jr discribing what had happen and exspressed his displeasrure with that dealership and how long he has driven Harleys and on and on.

Its been over a month since he has sent the letter out and has yet to have any response out of Harley.

So, yea I ride a British bike and dam proud of the way that they have treated me and I will be telling this story to all that care to listen. I realize that this is just one dealer but to find that none of the items mentioned above was covered on a bike that one of thier tried and true loyal customers had just paid just shy of $40k dollars for, with only 1,100 miles on it and less than 6 months old. Makes me want to buy me one, doesn't you?

By the way, that 40k Screamin Eagle Harley is no match for this Rocket Classic in performance, or any other catagory. But thats just my opinion.

Thank you Mr Triumph.

Terry Evans

Last edited:
But you get so much more for that $40K. Now he can do things like wear all those cool HD shirts and hang out at their t-shirt and shotglass shops, or what they call dealerships.

He was told wrong. Those items are covered under warranty. But, I have buddy that was told the "item" on his Road King was covered, but not the labor involved with getting to it. Again, that's BS too and he ended up not paying them. There are plenty of bad dealers for every make. There are also plenty of good dealers, HD included.

Well I never thought I would see the day, but on this occasion I have to stick up for "Harley Dealers in General" and hope he just has a bad dealer.

The reason I say / am doing this is that one of my riding buddies rides Harleys (he has a Dyna wide and a V-Rod Screaming Eagle.... On EVERY occasion he has been anywhere near the dealer here in N. Phoenix they have taken GREAT care of him and his bike and he has been VERY pleased with the work.

During the same period, my previous bike to my Rocket (Sprint ST) has been back into one of the local Triumph dealers (who shall remain un-named at present) because they have seriously screwed up work on it on several occasions, including a massive oil leak that covered half of the width of my back tire and wheel with oil as well as my boot... NOT a good experience....

So, there are good and bad with all - be glad you have a good Triumph dealer! :rolleyes:

..I completely agree about good and bad dealers in all brands..ya gotta seek 'em out for sure..but, as far as the company itself goes, (Triumph) fixing all these bikes out of warranty is way above and beyond what they would have to contractually do..you'll **** sure not see Harley or Honda doing any of that..kudos to Triumph..

well now... this almost makes me wish i was an okie. the 2 dealerships we have here in so cal absolutely shouldnt be allowed to use a wrench. after my upgrade im missing bolts, they didnt do the entire upgrade, said fork seals werent warranty, damaged my r/s engine case (gonna have to try and fill the damage with weld) didnt crimp the "new" ignition switch wires... the list is seemingly endless...
wont give up the bike but **** i sure wish there was a dealer around here i could trust.

Terry,
I had the same expierence with performance in Bethany.
I had my output shaft bearing go out.
Hauled the bike there.
They listened and rode it about a block.
Brought it back and called Triumph.
I waited and waitted for the parts to come in.
How long could it take to ship one bearing?
When they called and said she was ready,
I went cause I was more than ready.
Got there, they showed me a box of parts they'd replaced.
Entire rear end.
perfect since then.
That was two years ago.
ZERO cost to me.
Thats why I bought a second one.
Triumph is head and shoulders above the other manufactures.

Don't get me wrong here guys but I'm a bit confused. You slam a Harley for a bad headlight, but then sing praise of a bike that you paid around 18K for out the door and after a few thousand miles the bike needs to be rebuilt (upgrade kit)? Not only that but the time it sat in the shop when you should have been riding it.
If my Rocket would have needed that I wouldn't have bought another, I would have sold the first one the day it came out of the shop.

I think the meaning of the post was misconstrued. I wasn't slamming the bike as much as I was the dealer. However I do find it odd that a neck adjustment on a 6 month old bike, regardless of the cost, wasn't a covered item.
We all know that there is good and bad dealers for all models. But how would you like to be my buddy that just dropped 40k on one of Harleys flagship bikes, Screamin Eagle Ultra, and be treated the way he was.
He knows that I have less than 10K in my bike and it out does his H/D in every sense of the word with the exception of cruz and a stereo and we all know that they can be added.

Back