I did mine when I put new springs in. Easy when it is all apart.

There is some little device that let you clean the crud out of them without removing them. It slides up inside and pulls the dirt out. I can't remember what they are called, but I remember someone posting a while back about them.

Well, not much response here. I put this question up as I thought others may have found an easier way of doing this compared to what the manual says.

Some time ago I replaced my fork seals.
The manual, along with others told me that I need special tools etc.
O.K. no problem I pulled them apart and made the tools required as I went, and completed the job. All good.

Now, about a month ago I bought a set of forks off the net, just because I wanted them, for no other reason. Saturday I decided to have a play with them. This is what I discovered.

You can poke a 10mm Allen key up the bottom of the forks and remove a 10mm cap screw, this will allow the complete lower section to come out of the top, outer section leaving the fork seals just right there ready to be pulled out, no special tools required !
When doing this on the bike, remove the wheel and fender, you will have to raise the bike about 4-5" so that the forks will slide down from the top part, drop the calipers off the lower fork before you do this.
Fit the new seals and dust covers then re-assemble.
Note, you will have oil come out when you first remove that Cap screw at the bottom, slide the forks down a little and let them drain.
When you have it all back together you will need to re-fill the forks with new oil so unscrew the cap on the top of the forks, there is no spring pressure on that top cap so simply unscrew and refill as per spec's.

When you remove this top cap you can simple lift the damper rods out and clean everything if required.

Geez Paul.. why didn't you tell me this two years ago when I did mine?? Eh??? :thumbsdown:

P.S. You mean that lil' cap screw is all that stops the front wheel dropping off when ya chuck a wheelie????? :eek:

Since you have no use for them other then to tinker I could use a good right fork lower:)

Looks pretty familiar except yours are missing a spring in each of and the adjustable goodies :)

AH FORK ****!!!!

IMG_3332.JPG

Back