Fork Plug's ? ?

T Evans

Supercharged
I have successfully destroyed the front springs on the front of my Rocket trying to learn how to keep the front end up. Butt with out much success. I have been trying to purchase a new set of Progressive springs with out any luck. I even went to Progressive directly to find that they are out and are on back order also.

I was visiting with the owner of the local Harley repair shop today and told him about the front springs being wore out. He said that he has cut various sizes of heavy wall PVC pipe from 1 to 3 inches and removed the caps on the forks and compressed the "PLUG" with the cap and this stiffened the springs up on the bike. Has anybody else heard of doing this and what the results were?

I am leaving next week for a trip to Arkansas with my sons for some much needed R&R and really need some new springs. I recently installed a new front tire and at 110 mph the front tire feels like it goes out of balance and starts shaking. I had the tire removed and rebalanced but still the same out of balance shake.

I'm thinking that the springs are so far gone that they can't control the tire at speeds over 100.

I don't think that I would want to install these plugs and leave them in, but untill I can get some new springs installed, I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to get me thru in a pinch.

Big T

I still have my stock springs if you are interested, did Progressive give you an in stock date?

I have successfully destroyed the front springs on the front of my Rocket trying to learn how to keep the front end up. Butt with out much success. I have been trying to purchase a new set of Progressive springs with out any luck. I even went to Progressive directly to find that they are out and are on back order also.

I was visiting with the owner of the local Harley repair shop today and told him about the front springs being wore out. He said that he has cut various sizes of heavy wall PVC pipe from 1 to 3 inches and removed the caps on the forks and compressed the "PLUG" with the cap and this stiffened the springs up on the bike. Has anybody else heard of doing this and what the results were?

I am leaving next week for a trip to Arkansas with my sons for some much needed R&R and really need some new springs. I recently installed a new front tire and at 110 mph the front tire feels like it goes out of balance and starts shaking. I had the tire removed and rebalanced but still the same out of balance shake.

I'm thinking that the springs are so far gone that they can't control the tire at speeds over 100.

I don't think that I would want to install these plugs and leave them in, but untill I can get some new springs installed, I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to get me thru in a pinch.

Big T

My old Suzuki's had steel spacers installed from the factory. The PVC should work but I don't know how long. As long as the spring doesn't work against the PVC it should be okay. Maybe you could put a large steel washer between the spring and the PVC.

I have used PVC spacers on my Progressives on the front of my Speedmaster for 6 years, were provided by Progressive and no problem.

That H-D trick is gang busters on standard shocks. You have standard or Kayaba inverteds? If you have the inverted shocks that trick is not going to do you any good without taking the forks apart. Let me show you why.

This is the top of the fork tube. On standard forks the top plug is under spring pressure. The inverted aren't.

To put a spacer into the fork to preload it you'd have to do it from the bottom.

I don't see how you arrived at putting them on the bottom .... longer PVC tubes at the top would work just fine if it's sagging springs you are trying to remedy.

If the springs are collapsed I'd want to know why before putting another set in. The fork oil viscosity is a key element to fork performance. If the seals are leaking then the spring has to do 100% of the work, thus collapsing them after a few years. The remedy is not just new springs but seals as well. If the forks collapsed due to load then the Progressives won't solve the problem by themselves. So first determine why the springs went limp, then you won't repeat the problem.;)

I don't see how you arrived at putting them on the bottom .... longer PVC tubes at the top would work just fine if it's sagging springs you are trying to remedy.

Bottom or top its not that important. You still have to dismantle the forks to put the spacer in. The idea is to preload the spring. The real problem is that you reduce the space the spring can work in, so the spring action is much stiffer until the spring is fully collapsed. This might occur before the fork has made full travel. What I was trying to show was the tube the tool is mounted to is whats under the spring pressure. You can put a spacer under that, or drop it into the bottom and you get the same result.

Personally I'd opt for heavier springs (and did) which is why I have those photos.

With standard forks pulling the top plug off usually (in my case) launches the plug into the shop ceiling and then you get to play Willie Mays waiting for a deep fly ball. Putting a 1/2" PVC spacer in is easy in that case since what you're after is exposed right there. The inverted forks aren't the same monster. To put a spacer in requires a tear down of the forks. That's my message.

I'm not for sure which ones I have but I think I am going to give it a try to get me thru until Progressive gets some more made. There is a set on Ebay from another manufacturer. They advertise to be good but I think I'll wait for the Progressives.

My seals are not leaking and I have some new heavier oil to use when I get the new springs. But I think I'm going to give it a try with the plugs providing I have the type of forks that will allow me to do it with out removing the forks. Wish me luck

T

I'm not for sure which ones I have but I think I am going to give it a try to get me thru until Progressive gets some more made. There is a set on Ebay from another manufacturer. They advertise to be good but I think I'll wait for the Progressives.

My seals are not leaking and I have some new heavier oil to use when I get the new springs. But I think I'm going to give it a try with the plugs providing I have the type of forks that will allow me to do it with out removing the forks. Wish me luck

T

The inverted forks are found on the Standard and Classic. Only the Tourer uses a standard fork. The photo of your bike looks to be a Classic and ergo you have the Kayaba inverted forks (like me). And Good Luck.

Back