Fork Oil Question

Micksan

Supercharged
Ride
2023 Triumph R3 GT, 2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT,
I just got out of my manual. Fork oil is listed as 667 ccc of 5 SAE. Which is OK if I was going to use standard transmission oil. I always use specific oil for forks.
Question . What is the proper oil for our R3 forks >> In fork oil bottles . 5, 10, 15 ect. I normally use PJ1
Also it calls for 667 CCs , is that per leg???
Thanks

I just got out of my manual. Fork oil is listed as 667 ccc of 5 SAE. Which is OK if I was going to use standard transmission oil. I always use specific oil for forks.
Question . What is the proper oil for our R3 forks >> In fork oil bottles . 5, 10, 15 ect. I normally use PJ1
Thanks

I put 10 wt. in mine and would use 5 wt. if I had it to do over again. I think 10 makes the ride a little harsh on the bigger bumps. Just my 1/2 cents worth. I remember having the same question about the amount and I'll be ****ed if I can remember the answer !

I remember having the same question about the amount and I'll be ****ed if I can remember the answer !

Same here :eek: .

But from (fading) memory , I remember posting here, moons ago, my road-tested advice to a use a THICKER oil than recommended in the owner's manual. That's also what Wilbers recommended in connection with the installation of their progressive (vs std and linear) fork springs for the Rocket. In hindsight, one of the best mods I ever made to mine, BTW.

Jamie;)

Whe triumph replace my forks under warranty I had them put Progressive springs I had them also had them put top shelve fork oil in at SARS weight which was 5 wt. it give a great compliant ride and soaks all the bumps beautifully yet is firm enought and holds a good line thru sweepers without any wallowing or diving under brakes going into corners, I feel that if I had gone to a 7wt which I almost did I would have regretted it
JMTCW

I used 5 wt and it was fine. Depends on your load. 7.5 wt might be better if all your riding is 2 up. Just an opinion (since I'm pretty much solo most of the time).

Thanks

I had to replace my folk seals as one was leaking I chose a full synthetic 5w MOTUL folk oil the bottle will have SAE 5W on it, a bit pricey but i don't plan change the oil any time soon very happy with performance of the oil, i found measuring oil level with the folk fully compressed 89 mm from top of the tube (with out main spring) to be more accurate, the service manual say 667cc to a completely dry folk i found that amount will over fill the folk because the folk won't be completely dry

I was thinking of going to a 10W when I have the Progressives put in but don't want to live to regret it. I weigh in at 165 lbs. Since I'm not exactly a heavy weight - am I better off sticking with the 5W. A little confused as have heard a number of recommendations to go up to the 10W.

I was thinking of going to a 10W when I have the Progressives put in but don't want to live to regret it. I weigh in at 165 lbs. Since I'm not exactly a heavy weight - am I better off sticking with the 5W. A little confused as have heard a number of recommendations to go up to the 10W.
I weigh 240lb and am very happy I stayed with 5wt when I put my Progessives in, just make sure you put a high quaility Fork Oil in:cool:

I weigh 200 lbs. and put in the 10 wt. when I installed my progressive springs. If it wasn't such a b1tch to change I would go back to 5 wt.

Back