For the thousandth time, tires

Personally when I see a tire add tout high grip and then immediately tout high mileage capability, I generally dismiss that tire then and there.

The E-Max being the exception to that rule. The E-Max has a fairly flat profile, allowing for phenomenal grip and wear on the back of our bikes. It also doesn’t overheat at extreme loads/speeds.

After a 15 minute cornering smorgasbord at 90-120 yesterday I put my bare hand on it right after, felt warm but not hot, I would estimate 115-120 degrees, totally acceptable temps for long life.

Found an interesting picture that has to do with tires just now looking through some google searches on the topic of traction.

The E-Max rear has this type of shape quite pronounced and definitely puts more rubber on the road in a corner than going straight, the AV71 deforms readily, it has a soft carcass, so will provide the same effect as the second picture when cornering.
Leaning Patch.jpg

While the below is an add for a specific brand/model of tire, it's not at all unique to that brand/model. THIS is why I rail against car tires on bikes, the contact patch on a square tire is nowhere near the patch indicated below at 40 degrees of lean.
Roadsmart deflection.jpg

I currently run the Mich Commander II. I've not put it through it paces yet, but it can't be worse than the stock Metz.

I would never recommend a Pirelli Night Dragon unless you live in the deep south and get the tire warm before any spirited cornering. Never had a tire slide as often. After 10-15 minutes though, it would stick well.

I've ran 2 Cobra's in the 140/75R17 and love them - I did switch to the Mich commander II this last time with same results, but it also seems to do better in the rain if that's a concern for you Fred. It is a little more expensive though

Back