For Sale For sale in UK - low mileage 2008 RocketIII Touring - price reduction

Richard Browne

.020 Over
Ride
2009 Rocket 3 Touring and 1968 BSA Bantam...
It is with masses of regret that I post this for sale - life can be cruel sometimes, so Skelly the Rocket has to move on to pastures new

Triumph Rocket III by d1ck_browne, on Flickr

I bought Skelly just over two years ago, and the first year was spent hooning around, two up with Rev. Mrs. DickBrowne on the pillion, and boy how we enjoyed it. I then popped him away for the winter, expecting to bring him out into the weak sunlight of an early spring day in order to re-make that acquaintance and, in February 2020, I succeeded to a small degree – I rode it to the MOT station and back.

Then March 2020 happened…

We did get some saddle time last year, but not that much, if I’m being honest.

The bike itself is, well, big, but as well as that, he’s comfy over long journeys, like no bike I’ve ever owned before (and I’ve had a few!). There’s a lot to like about this one.

There are twin fog-lights/riding lamps, one either side of the headlight. They’re factory fitted, so there’s no awkward wiring into sub-standard switches, it has the factory switch and wiring.

The screen is massively effective and is removeable if you want that wind-in-your-hair, bugs-in-your-teeth feeling. The quick-release clips make taking it off for the aforementioned riding mode, and also for cleaning, but the work of a few short seconds. On the screen is a series of tie-down loops for your tent or sleeping bag, should you decide to go camping.

The bars are big and chunky, they’re about an inch thick, which makes other bars seem, well, a little limp-wristed, which is something you won’t be as your hands spend their lives in a very comfortable place.

There is a Garmin sat-nav on the bars, which works perfectly well, is waterproof and, being motorcycle-specific, is theft-proof also (there’s a hidden security screw holding it securely to the base).

The leather bag on the forks is something I’ve had in the garage for around 30 years, but it suits the bike well and you’re welcome to it if you’d like it.

Talking of leather bits, there’s a Triumph leather tank protector which includes a handy pouch where I normally keep my wallet, and there’s another small bag behind the screen where I normally pop my phone and house keys, also an official Triumph accessory.

The air filter has been replaced with a more sporty version atop the throttle bodies at some point before my ownership, and this gives a lovely induction roar when I decide to press on a bit.

The engine is protected by engine bars and there is a set of highway pegs on these bars, official Triumph, naturally and fully adjustable. Being the Touring model, the footpegs are replaced by footboards and there is a heel and toe shifter for the gears. I’ve removed the heel part as I have size 12 feet and constantly caught it with my foot, but it’s a single bolt and can be replaced in seconds.

The seat, as I’ve already alluded to, is big and comfy, perfect for long-distances, and there is a step-up for the pillion. This gives a small backrest for you as the rider, but also the passenger has a much better view of the world around them, and the quick-release seatback not only gives comfort and security, but also has a useful luggage rack built-in. If luggage is your thing, the (you’ve guessed it!) quick-release panniers are huge and lockable.

Appearance-wise, the bike is in Ivory and black, the gold pinstripes are not only hand-painted, but also signed by the pinstriper, as are all Triumph stripes.

The paintwork is perfect, without a mark on it, just some swirls from washing over the years. I’ve kept it well waxed, and wash it regularly, even though I’ve never ridder the bike in the rain.

When I’m washing, I also wax and polish the chrome, and there’s lots of chrome – not wanting to polish? Not a problem, wash and a quick wipe-down with a chamois or micro-fibre, and you’re good to go. I had the paint protected with a ceramic coating when I bought it, so it’s all good.

There are, of course, some bad points, but mercifully few – I do like to look after my things. The fork legs do have some stone-chips to the lacquer and water has gotten beneath the chips. It’s nothing serious, a session with wet and dry and a can of lacquer would soon see them perfect, but I haven’t done this as I’ve found the same condition on pretty much every bike I’ve ever owned.

The second bad point is that the panniers are very wide and occasionally you will find that you catch a lid when swinging a leg over. My riding boots are rubber-soled and that leaves a rubbery scuff, but it always comes off with a little wax, but I mention it for completeness.

Final bad point is servicing. The bike had a good service history when I bought it, and it was serviced by the selling dealer (Wheels in Peterborough) at the time of purchase, but my regular garage was unable to offer a service when I MOT’ed it this year, due to Covid but, given the mileage I covered last year and so far this, it’s not going cause any problems.

Mileage is low – around 10,300, and you will see how well the bike has been cared for over its life.

Both tyres are in good condition with excellent tread depth - the minimal chicken strips on the back shows how well the bike handles, despite it's size.

MOT is due in April next year, and the bike is on a private “RIII” (Rocket3, see what he did there?) number plate (plus the previous owners initials).

The number plate will stay with the bike and, if I get the asking price, I will also leave the satnav on as it’s a useful piece of kit. I do have a powered phone cradle, so if you’d rather use your mobile for navigation (there are some great bike-specific navigation apps available), I can let you have that instead.

I will be removing Psycho the cat from the handlebars, however. He was a Fathers Day present from Browne Jr, and has been on every bike I’ve owned since she was a tot, I will also be changing the Rocket III nameplate on the side of the engine for the standard one, as this was also a gift, but if you like it, I can point you in the direction of where they are sold.

Price wise, I’m looking for £8750 and the bike is located in Newport Pagnell, near to Milton Keynes for your viewing and purchasing pleasure.

Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask

Richard

Last edited:
that would have been the obvious reason, and it is a contributory factor, but it was originally a long and tedious thought process around the bike being so skinny (Ah, English irony!) but the skeleton on the headlamp and a matching skeleton on the key are here to support the whole naming thingy.

I rarely name my modes of transport - I drive around 25k miles per year and kill cars pretty quickly so try not to get emotionally involved, but this bike got under my skin somewhat.

It is with masses of regret that I post this for sale - life can be cruel sometimes, so Skelly the Rocket has to move on to pastures new

I bought Skelly just over two years ago, and the first year was spent hooning around, two up with Rev. Mrs. DickBrowne on the pillion, and boy how we enjoyed it. I then popped him away for the winter, expecting to bring him out into the weak sunlight of an early spring day in order to re-make that acquaintance and, in February 2020, I succeeded to a small degree – I rode it to the MOT station and back.

Then March 2020 happened…

We did get some saddle time last year, but not that much, if I’m being honest.

The bike itself is, well, big, but as well as that, he’s comfy over long journeys, like no bike I’ve ever owned before (and I’ve had a few!). There’s a lot to like about this one.

There are twin fog-lights/riding lamps, one either side of the headlight. They’re factory fitted, so there’s no awkward wiring into sub-standard switches, it has the factory switch and wiring.

The screen is massively effective and is removeable if you want that wind-in-your-hair, bugs-in-your-teeth feeling. The quick-release clips make taking it off for the aforementioned riding mode, and also for cleaning, but the work of a few short seconds. On the screen is a series of tie-down loops for your tent or sleeping bag, should you decide to go camping.

The bars are big and chunky, they’re about an inch thick, which makes other bars seem, well, a little limp-wristed, which is something you won’t be as your hands spend their lives in a very comfortable place.

There is a Garmin sat-nav on the bars, which works perfectly well, is waterproof and, being motorcycle-specific, is theft-proof also (there’s a hidden security screw holding it securely to the base).

The leather bag on the forks is something I’ve had in the garage for around 30 years, but it suits the bike well and you’re welcome to it if you’d like it.

Talking of leather bits, there’s a Triumph leather tank protector which includes a handy pouch where I normally keep my wallet, and there’s another small bag behind the screen where I normally pop my phone and house keys, also an official Triumph accessory.

The air filter has been replaced with a more sporty version atop the throttle bodies at some point before my ownership, and this gives a lovely induction roar when I decide to press on a bit.

The engine is protected by engine bars and there is a set of highway pegs on these bars, official Triumph, naturally and fully adjustable. Being the Touring model, the footpegs are replaced by footboards and there is a heel and toe shifter for the gears. I’ve removed the heel part as I have size 12 feet and constantly caught it with my foot, but it’s a single bolt and can be replaced in seconds.

The seat, as I’ve already alluded to, is big and comfy, perfect for long-distances, and there is a step-up for the pillion. This gives a small backrest for you as the rider, but also the passenger has a much better view of the world around them, and the quick-release seatback not only gives comfort and security, but also has a useful luggage rack built-in. If luggage is your thing, the (you’ve guessed it!) quick-release panniers are huge and lockable.

Appearance-wise, the bike is in Ivory and black, the gold pinstripes are not only hand-painted, but also signed by the pinstriper, as are all Triumph stripes.

The paintwork is perfect, without a mark on it, just some swirls from washing over the years. I’ve kept it well waxed, and wash it regularly, even though I’ve never ridder the bike in the rain.

When I’m washing, I also wax and polish the chrome, and there’s lots of chrome – not wanting to polish? Not a problem, wash and a quick wipe-down with a chamois or micro-fibre, and you’re good to go. I had the paint protected with a ceramic coating when I bought it, so it’s all good.

There are, of course, some bad points, but mercifully few – I do like to look after my things. The fork legs do have some stone-chips to the lacquer and water has gotten beneath the chips. It’s nothing serious, a session with wet and dry and a can of lacquer would soon see them perfect, but I haven’t done this as I’ve found the same condition on pretty much every bike I’ve ever owned.

The second bad point is that the panniers are very wide and occasionally you will find that you catch a lid when swinging a leg over. My riding boots are rubber-soled and that leaves a rubbery scuff, but it always comes off with a little wax, but I mention it for completeness.

Final bad point is servicing. The bike had a good service history when I bought it, and it was serviced by the selling dealer (Wheels in Peterborough) at the time of purchase, but my regular garage was unable to offer a service when I MOT’ed it this year, due to Covid but, given the mileage I covered last year and so far this, it’s not going cause any problems.

Mileage is low – around 10,300, and you will see how well the bike has been cared for over its life.

Both tyres are in good condition with excellent tread depth - the minimal chicken strips on the back shows how well the bike handles, despite it's size.

MOT is due in April next year, and the bike is on a private “RIII” (Rocket3, see what he did there?) number plate (plus the previous owners initials).

The number plate will stay with the bike and, if I get the asking price, I will also leave the satnav on as it’s a useful piece of kit. I do have a powered phone cradle, so if you’d rather use your mobile for navigation (there are some great bike-specific navigation apps available), I can let you have that instead.

I will be removing Psycho the cat from the handlebars, however. He was a Fathers Day present from Browne Jr, and has been on every bike I’ve owned since she was a tot, I will also be changing the Rocket III nameplate on the side of the engine for the standard one, as this was also a gift, but if you like it, I can point you in the direction of where they are sold.

Price wise, I’m looking for £8750 and the bike is located in Newport Pagnell, near to Milton Keynes for your viewing and purchasing pleasure.

Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask

Richard
What is the price

Back