Footpeg swap on a Roadster

nox273

.060 Over
Hi All

Has anyone done a footpeg swap with a Roadster and standard rocket.
I am looking to fit some standard pegs and rails to the Roadster for a little more leg room and wondering if there are any major issues with the ABS system. Any photos or such would be a great help if someone has made the swap.

Cheers

You wouldn't swap just the pegs, but the entire rail set-up, brake and shifter levers included. Should fit easily. Would you be selling the roadster set? Might be interested, as I miss that style sometimes, especially over crappy roads, where I could lift my ass off the seat. Of course that's because I still have those dump druck springs on mine.... I think I saw Hellfire was willing to part with his.

You wouldn't swap just the pegs, but the entire rail set-up, brake and shifter levers included. Should fit easily. Would you be selling the roadster set? Might be interested, as I miss that style sometimes, especially over crappy roads, where I could lift my ass off the seat. Of course that's because I still have those dump druck springs on mine.... I think I saw Hellfire was willing to part with his.

It is the only thing I dislike about the Roadster. Triumph should offer footpeg location kits as an option.

The left hand shifter side would be a piece of cake. Not sure about the right hand side with the ABS attached to the laster cylinder etc.

Baadactor is right, they are exactly the same from model to model at the point where they bolt to the engine ... from there out, it's all different and you really should get a complete set of everything so that the brake pedal/brake line/shifter will all work comfortably with the pegs or boards you decide to go with.

Check the brake line from the master cylinder to the ABS unit for length and bends. It may be possible to simply straighten out the bends in the line a little in order to move the master cylinder forward enough to mount onto the Standard engine rails. My Classic board set came with a slightly longer brake line for moving it less than an inch. I decided to not even bother opening the system to install the new line, and just took a little out of each bend. That gave me plenty of room without having to bleed them.

I replaced it all with Classic parts on my 2008 standard. I've got a complete set of forward (compared to Roadster) pegs in the box. I'll be gone for awhile, give it some more thought and research over the next week and let me know if they are what you are interested in. I'll be gone till March.

Slapping a set of Rivco boards on isn't much of an option, but those are available as well. I priced out Rivco's boards, heel/toe shifter and rear brake pedal and found they cost more than I paid for a brand new Triumph Classic kit.

Aren't the Roadster pegs about 5 inches back than the standard position? Probably tough to find that much in spare bends. New line needed? Shouldn't be any tougher than that. Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong.

Hellfire, enjoy your tropical holiday.

i've just fitted roadster footrails to my 07 rocket it took about 1 hr. all that needed altering was the brake pipe from the master cylinder, but a bit of careful bending sorted it(plumber). the guy i bought them off had gone the same way as you. he said it was a bit more involved due to the a.b.s. he did it himself and said it was no big deal. i measured the difference on my pegs and it came out at six and a half inches( u.k inches) from the centre of the footpegs. if you can pickup the complete footrail ass. its simpler and cheaper, all the small parts cost an arm and a leg from triumph.

Stu, did your friend have to *****with the brake line or replace it going from Roadster to Standard? Any time you can just move it or bend it is better than cracking open a working system. I was hoping to tell Nox he could go from Roaster to Standard without having to crack open the system but I don't have that much knowledge on the Roaster gizmos.

If the pegs moved a good six inches then the master cyl must have too ... getting shorter is one thing, but longer ..?... that could mean a different brake line.

Nox, I have the "longer" line that came with the Classic boards, I'll have to dig out the box with the peg stuff and measure it for you. Stu if your buddy could give us a length to work with that would be great.

I know that if Nox wanted too, he could sell those Roaster rails for a small fortune. There are lots of prior year hot rodders who would love to have pegs moved back half a foot.

If you do need another brake pipe (and I think you would) would it have to be a solid tubing one or could you use a braided hose instead.

I have a set of pegs and rails I bought second hand but they have not arrived yet, they are only missing the adjustable gear linkage and the chrome boot shield from the brake pedal side, otherwise they are complete (anybody have any spares).

When seated on the bike I feel more comfortable with my foot on the brake lever and gear change lever so I reckon 6 inches would be ideal.
I have highway pegs on my engine bars but don;t really like them as my feet feel like they want to slip downwards after a while riding. So I am hoping for something in between.

I will disassemble the brake side this weekend and see what really needs changing. I think the brake line is the only problem.

you will need a new brake line, braided should be o.k. you will also need the master cyl. and resovoir as they are slightly different dimensions. meaning they will bolt straight to the rails without any chrome damaging mods. the guy i got the roadster set off was just a vendor and not a buddy , so can't get any info other than from memory. all i do know is, that priced seperately all the parts for a complete usable set of r3 rails from triumph comes to the princely sum of £700+. the only parts that are the same are the mounting lugs on the frame, the rest even though only a small difference have moved or changed. best i can tell you is the guy said the A.B.S part of it was the the only bit of a head scratcher involved. as i've said earlier mine went on in about an hour including bleeding master cyl. hope this has helped, good luck. (p.s. i paid £250 for complete roadster kit) the guy said all the bits he needed had cost a small fortune .

Snapped off front RHS peg

anyone know the price of the best place to buy a new one or second hand. I'm near Sydney in Oz. If anyone has one they want to sell it's off the 2005 standard Rocket. Bloody thing is diecast and snapped on the hinge shaft.:mad:

Back