Foot pegs on a Std. Rocket

Akita Man

.040 Over
Many of us Rocketeers gravitate towards this bike not only because of it's size but ours as well.

I love the fit of this bike but at 6'4" The stock pegs are a little cramped. I am considering adding the engine bars and highway pegs to stretch out on highway jaunts.

I looked at the mounting bar that the stock pegs attach to...there is 3-4" of forward room there. Any ideas to take advantage of this? I little cut here and a little weld there....I'd prefer not to mount highway pegs...I like the naked look of a stock rocket.

Thanks

Hey Akita Man, I'm a bit tall and another rocketeer is about your size. We get by just propping our length over the pegs to dangle in the breeze. Raask makes a bracket to adjust the pegs and works for some however looks a bit mechanical and not for looks unfortunately. Of course if you are handy, anything can be done. So have at it and let us know how it works out.

Dangle...

I do do that...but my feet seem like they are only an inch or so from the pavement...at least at the heel.

On unseen pot hole could prove fatal. I am with ya there however.

I did find a post on this site with a guy...had to be pretty handy with a grinder and a welder who modified forward controls from Big Dog. It looks great and judging by the pics...his left peg is where your shift lever is now...

For me that feels pretty **** right. Not to mention the increased cornering clearence...they are higher. My problem...I don't weld.

Thanks for your input.

I completely understand the heel thing, corners partuculary. I'm a machinist without a shop and I prefer it that way these days and never did any welding as it is not machining. Had many instances of fixing welds however. The brake side is the interesting side do maneuver that setup but it can and has beed done. Good luck.

At 5ft 8ins...it's a problem i don't have :D But pulling the sidestand back is a bit of a stretch :eek: Small price to pay really :)

ray

Brake side.

I completely understand the heel thing, corners partuculary. I'm a machinist without a shop and I prefer it that way these days and never did any welding as it is not machining. Had many instances of fixing welds however. The brake side is the interesting side do maneuver that setup but it can and has beed done. Good luck.

Baggage1...I think if you get forward controls that have a resivour mounted to them either internal or external.

Then the placement becomes easy...have you seen the photos some one had on the site?

Finally - wrestling with pictures - is there a tip on doing that btw?

Akita Man: Re your
I am considering adding the engine bars and highway pegs to stretch out on highway jaunts
. I took that route with the stock engine [non-]guard bars (I'll be upgrading to the beefier version over the winter) and had a few configurations of highway pegs (wrap-around kind). Had a simple pair from local bike shop (can't remember type) that I couldn't get my own 6' 4" frame comfortable with. Bought some Kuryakn with the 3 - 4" arm and rode with them low on the bar for a couple years.

Got tired of reaching for them - so reversed them - and turned them over (left on right - right on left) higher on the bar. Now have them higher (as you can see from the pictures - even the ghost of where I had them before) for a different position. Can now drape the legs over the top or ride on them. With the new back-rest - am very comfortable. Tested on 350+ mile day in October and Friday on a quick 200 miler with the wife and Sporty in tow.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Note the fast red color!!

I'm 6'2" and feel the pegs are in the wrong place too. I can't decide if they are too far forward or too far back (the roadster may have gotten it right). I was going to try the Rivco floor boards with the heel toe shifter and see if that might be more comfortable than the pegs. They look like they might move things forward a tad bit.

Who has done the Rivco floor board conversion?
What were the results?
Would you recomend it or not?

I'd like to compare side by side the rivco setup vs the classic or touring stock boards, has anyone else seen them together?

Any metal man can get what you are looking for Akita Man, I have not seen the one I remember for some time. A nice winter job to be sure. Interestingly it was pointed out that the standard rocket has peg bars a little bit higher than the Classic with floorboards. Now the new one has more rearward pegs yet. May have a different height as well. I use the rear pegs as well on longer runs just for something different, into hurricane cat-2 like winds mostly.:D

Back