Following @Boog's lead - frost = refreshing riding

Joesmoe

IMOKUR2
Ride
Triumph: 2014 Rocket III Touring
Thank you @Boog - I rode my bike to the Pentagon last night to work my 12 hour shift. Had a GIZA cover that I put on and this morning - 20ºF - the cover was covered with frost -- but not the bike.

Heated seat, vest, grips, gloves and a scarf under the collar kept me comfortable for the ride home. My wife came out to meet me and lift the garage door. She grabbed the nearest grip, felt it, and smiled at me.

Life is good.

So having gone down on cold tires in the past, how do you change your riding habits to account for the cold and the potential for slick spots on the road? I am a little "gun shy" when I get around the 34-degree mark for this reason. Especially overpasses and early morning frost in the shade areas. I have the heated gear to keep me warm, but worry about the unexpected slick spot.

It's the roads that worry me when it's COLD. Slightest damp and it's ice. tbh if the skies are clear at night - below 3°C I expect grip to lessen.

Was out today before the sun got to some bends and they were glistening a bit - fine on a fifty something HP old Guzzi with a monster flywheel - but would have been lethal on anything with shag loads of torque or eager to spin up.

OK - I'll admit. I'm getting old.

It's the roads that worry me when it's COLD. Slightest damp and it's ice. tbh if the skies are clear at night - below 3°C I expect grip to lessen.

Was out today before the sun got to some bends and they were glistening a bit - fine on a fifty something HP old Guzzi with a monster flywheel - but would have been lethal on anything with shag loads of torque or eager to spin up.

OK - I'll admit. I'm getting old.

When its below 32 I wont ride. 1 garbage truck leaking juice on the road and you go for a ride

Thank you @Boog - I rode my bike to the Pentagon last night to work my 12 hour shift. Had a GIZA cover that I put on and this morning - 20ºF - the cover was covered with frost -- but not the bike.

Heated seat, vest, grips, gloves and a scarf under the collar kept me comfortable for the ride home. My wife came out to meet me and lift the garage door. She grabbed the nearest grip, felt it, and smiled at me.

Life is good.
-20F !!!!! that's -29C. You are tougher than me........

@Jay for me on the secondary roads, I ride slow and straighter, meaning I dont use the sidewall grip so much. Keeping the center of balance as close to nadir as possible.
On the major roads, I slow down a bit even on the dry pavement. When it is freezing and below and I see a wet spot ahead, I move if possible to avoid it and if not, maintain a steady but lower throttle as I glide over it. If the tires start to slip unexpectedly, never panic as over correction will cause a mishap every time. My biggest con ernie is stopping down hill. I start slowing way early to make sure the road is able to allow me to stop.
This may sound like a lot of extra work to some, but it is second nature to me. The coldest I've ridden so far is 0F the first winter I got Brahma.
@Joesmoe good on ya brother!

Refreshing indeed! I've ridden in all weather; though not all were intentional. Losing the view of the road during an unexpected whiteout is a ride I won't forget; nor wish to repeat. @Boog was spot on. I generally run in a lower gear at slower speeds in slick conditions to minimize brake usage.
-MIG

Last edited:
What @Boog said - said another way - he is simply doing what we should *all* be doing every time we ride: ride consistent with the conditions.

And @Triple Trouble , while I appreciate your vote of confidence, those were hyphens -- so the temp this morning in the parking lot was +20Fº, or minus six and two thirds centigrade.

I'm sure most of our northern captains do not find this account particularly noteworthy.

Having grown up in Alabama, I completely understand @atlsrt44 sentiment. Still, it's generally a matter of paying attention to the weather patterns. Below freezing is often (certainly not always) dry. And one just has to be vigilant.

I check my tires every time I ride anyway, so nothing special about what the temperature happens to be.

Back