EskimoPie

Supercharged
Ride
2021 Rocket 3 GT
I saw mention of this system in another thread so I ordered a set up from Amazon. They are pretty impressive little devices and will continuously monitor your tire pressure, alerting your smart phone or other device when it detects an issue. My question is, does anybody have any concern with mounting the units on our 90 degree elbow valve stems? This seems like it would put considerable force on the stem at speeds. The units do come with a metal straight valve stem but it would be a significant effort to remove the tire to be able to mount the new valve stem. Other than that minor concern, they seem to be fantastic devices.

Has anybody ever had any issues with these devices on our angled valve stems?

I saw mention of this system in another thread so I ordered a set up from Amazon. They are pretty impressive little devices and will continuously monitor your tire pressure, alerting your smart phone or other device when it detects an issue. My question is, does anybody have any concern with mounting the units on our 90 degree elbow valve stems? This seems like it would put considerable force on the stem at speeds. The units do come with a metal straight valve stem but it would be a significant effort to remove the tire to be able to mount the new valve stem. Other than that minor concern, they seem to be fantastic devices.

I thought the bikes already had TPMS, no? What specifically does this provide above the factory system?

The R and the GT don't come with it stock, it's a dealer installed extra (Maybe the TFC got it stock?). I'd say there are significant advantages for this system though over the factory TPMS. This one has user replaceable batteries, it alerts your cell phone if it detects an issue, it monitors for both slow leaks that haven't crossed your threshold as well as fast leaks, and last but not least, it's easily installed at home and MUCH cheaper than having the dealer un-mount and re-mount your tires to install the internal TPMS.

Don't know about this particular system, but I had an older FOBO setup that was a piece of crap (might have been a cheaper model - can't remember). It would frequently lose sync, then they changed the app. You had to download the new app and it wouldn't work unless you accepted a whole bunch of permissions there was no way it needed in order to operate, so I ditched it. The "sending units" or valve stem caps remained installed for awhile before I finally pulled them and they appear to have been slightly larger looking than the ones you linked and I never had any apparent issues WRT the stems while I had them installed.

I prefer a TPMS that reads out on the TFT. According to the Rocket manual, a warning is displayed when the measured tire pressure, corrected to 20C, is out of spec but the indicated pressure is that measured at ambient temperature by the sensor in the tire. Triumph says not to use this but to rely on an accurate gauge to measure the “cold” tire pressure. The specs in the manual are 42 psi at “cold” ( which is whatever your garage temperature is at before you ride the bike), not 20 C. Riding up the street at 12 mph for a few hundred feet until you get a reading will not heat the air in the tire enough to change the pressure. What is up with this?

Last edited:

Not meaning to revive an old thread but you had the same question I do. I have FOBO sensors on two other bikes and like it quite a bit. But I was concerned about the forces on angled valve stem. Have you had any problems with yours since installing the sensor? Thanks

Back