FNG here-2014 R3 Touring questions

enduroed

Standard Bore
Ride
BMW K1300S
Hello guys and girls,

My name is Ed, I'm seriously considering a 2014 R3 Touring with 4.5k miles on it. Beautiful bike, purchasing for me and my wife. Asking price is 10k. My BMW K1300S has been rock solid since 2010, have 49k on it, but my wife is a motorcycle racist and will not ride with me on it (she wants a Goldwing, I don't want a GW). How is the reliability on this bike? We would be putting some long trips on it. Just curious. I'll be reading posts and see what gripes and comments for this bike is. This will be my 23rd bike. Tks for any input.

Ed

They are quite reliable overall. Like anything there may be Monday Friday bikes around, and there are those that have beat their bikes to pieces. Of course I am biased, I have one, and I ride it. But I will recommend it heartily. It's a big beefy bike, with big beefy parts to match.

Welcome from Florida,Ed. As rocketjohn said pretty reliable bike 42,000 mi. on my 13' with no real issues some who have had issues will be along with their opinions.Where do you call home?

Welcome from Virginia, Ed.

This reminds me of my first visit to a naturists gathering, and they said you can come once with your clothes on, and after that . . .

You have come to the right place for Triumph Rockets. My bike is a 2014 Touring, and I got it explicitly to host my lovely spouse on back. Before that (explicitly to carry her) were a Honda PC-800 Pacific Coast (not quite enough oomph for two-up); Honda ST-1300 (great power and a tad too tall for me); and now the Rocket (perfect).

The record we've seen (on this site) is 130,000 miles and no major repairs. Clearly with care and regular maintenance - a bit involved to get to the valves -- need to be careful to lubricate the splines of the shaft, ideally every time the rear tire is replaced, tires are a bit on the pricey side -- the big motor is thirsty.

If you have the patience to deal with those normal things, the bike makes a great platform for tailoring to your (and your pillion)'s tastes, whims, and desires. Just poke around on this site for a few minutes and you can develop a long list.

The big motor is relatively low stress, so it has plenty of torque at normal throttle settings to take you and your honey pretty much anywhere you want to go.

You need to be deliberate where you park it, as it does NOT come with a reverse gear, and can be a challenge to back if one gets stuck facing down hill.

When you get that Rocket, please come back, update your profile (year and ride and location, please), and join this great bunch of captains.

Hello Ed and another welcome from Virginia. I have a 2014 with just over 40K miles on it. I ride year round except in snow and have made several cross country trips on mine.
I think it is great for two-up riding and has plenty of go power even when loaded down.
I would not hesitate to ride off into he sunset at any given time.

Test ride the gold wing, then the rocket and ill put my money on the rocket.
C u soon!!! The price does seem a little high. A couple grand more and you'll have a new one with a warranty. Good luck.

Ed, welcome from Iowa. I am on my 2nd Rocket, totaled the 2005 just 5 weeks ago and now have a 2015 R3T. I bought is as a new bike, 9 miles with 2 year warranty for just a couple of grand over what you state. You might wish to do some quick searches for these as they are left over 2015 models Triumph is clearing out, check the dealers. Very good machine, IMHO.

Ride it once and you will either love It or be scared Sh!tless either way the motor is Rock solid I tow a 500kg camper trailer behind mine and it hardly notices it, ...Oh And Welcome from Auss

I'm so envious of the trailer, and would have one in an instant, if I could figure a way to store it when not in use without the yard becoming an eyesore over which my neighbors would rebel.

Back