Floating disc play

CanberraR3

Living Legend
Ride
Triumphs, but no Rocket just now.
I'd be interested in what others have to say about how much play there should be in the floating front discs. Mine wiggle laterally quite a bit - maybe a mm or 2. When I hold the brake lever and rock the bike back and forth there's a noticeable clunk as the discs move a little on the lugs that connect the outer to the inner part of the disc. Is this normal? How much movement is too much? And can they be tightened - a press maybe? Anyone have any experience with this?

They work fine, by the way, with no vibration, wobble or unusual noise. Stopping is strong.

I'd be interested in what others have to say about how much play there should be in the floating front discs. Mine wiggle laterally quite a bit - maybe a mm or 2. When I hold the brake lever and rock the bike back and forth there's a noticeable clunk as the discs move a little on the lugs that connect the outer to the inner part of the disc. Is this normal? How much movement is too much? And can they be tightened - a press maybe? Anyone have any experience with this?

They work fine, by the way, with no vibration, wobble or unusual noise. Stopping is strong.

TC has a set for sale - Id buy them from him - JUST IN CASE

Got my vote ... Mittzy for PM... :roll:God i'm bought cheaply. It's one of the foremost traits required i'm led to believe. Hey i'd make a bloody good pollie myself ;)

a 1 mm side to side is normal,
front to back I do not know but a clunky noise sounds too much in any case

Side to side is fine - it's part of the design concept.

Front to rear - not a good sign EVER.

That's what I figured. Can it be rectified do you think?
ANYTHING can be fixed. Whether it's economically viable is another thing all together. If the collets have worn then it maybe viable. If it's the disc or carrier - I doubt it. Generally (when it comes to floating discs) the best solution is replace.

I know you said you can feel a clunk with brake on but can you feel any back-forward (in line with centre of bike) movement by firmly grasping the disc while brake is not on and try to see if there is movement, have you checked it is not play in the steering head bearings, normally I would have said the fork bushes also need to be checked but you have only just replaced them, get somebody to listen to steering head upper and lower bearings while you rock back and forth with brake on, using a stethoscope or a screwdriver (preferably a solid shaft thru handle type) can also be used.
As others have said 1 to 2mm side play is normal.

hi
i have 07 20,000 miles . mine seems to be about the same they seem to be some wear on the rivets. my rotors are attached to the wheel so i would need to replace wheel. they look like they could be repaired if you could get the rivets. but i doubt if you can get them. personal opinion they are still safe but i will keep an eye on them.
maybe some one will answer up that has a lot of miles on there machine and give us there opinion.
herman

Back