Flip's Stand-Lifting Front

dobro

Supercharged
Ride
2011 R3T
I'm thinking about buying a couple of small jack stands to use under the highway bars to raise the front after I have my R3T up on Flip's paddock stand. Would those bars provide enough strength to withstand the stress? I know I can use wood or a scissor jack under the sump to elevate the front after it's on Flip's stand but I'd prefer using the bars if it's safe. Would it be be safer to use the front segment of the rails that are under the foot boards?

I did a posting last year where I had made a lifting plate that also used the floorboard mounting bars to help lift the bike. It works really well and has no issues other than it tends to lift the front of the bike more than the back. I have since moved the read frame lifting points more rearward hopefully in a effort to help. If I was pulling the rear wheel I would have the panniers and exhaust remove and I'm sure that would change the weight distribution. It definitely keeps any and all lifting pressure off the bottom of the engine.

I also made a support that is adjustable and can be positioned underneath the crash bars right where they are fastened in the front. It is adjustable both in width and height, but I have only used it to completely stabilize the bike when it up in the air. If you look at the pictures, you can see the action of the lifting plate with the adjustable arms lifting on the floorboard bars. You can also see the adjustable support, I made, positioned under the crash bars for support. Those crash bars are pretty strong and well mounted. They certainly could be a lift point. As for the floorboard bars, they are more than adequate for the way I am using them in combination with the lift bracket. I don't know if they would take all of the weight of the bike.

I'm sorry, but I can't help myself... I am always cobbling up something for my bike and posting pictures of it on the forum. Members are probably getting sick of it, but teaching shop for 30 years is a curse and old habit die hard. I hope this helps.

As an additional comment, I do kind of like the Jack-Be-Quick plate I have seen posted. I might just buy one as a permanent mounting option as it appears it will work on the touring model.

Here is my old post and write up.

My R3 Touring lifting plate adapter

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I did a posting last year where I had made a lifting plate that also used the floorboard mounting bars to help lift the bike. It works really well and has no issues other than it tends to lift the front of the bike more than the back. I have since moved the read frame lifting points more rearward hopefully in a effort to help. If I was pulling the rear wheel I would have the panniers and exhaust remove and I'm sure that would change the weight distribution. It definitely keeps any and all lifting pressure off the bottom of the engine.

I also made a support that is adjustable and can be positioned underneath the crash bars right where they are fastened in the front. It is adjustable both in width and height, but I have only used it to completely stabilize the bike when it up in the air. If you look at the pictures, you can see the action of the lifting plate with the adjustable arms lifting on the floorboard bars. You can also see the adjustable support, I made, positioned under the crash bars for support. Those crash bars are pretty strong and well mounted. They certainly could be a lift point. As for the floorboard bars, they are more than adequate for the way I am using them in combination with the lift bracket. I don't know if they would take all of the weight of the bike.

I'm sorry, but I can't help myself... I am always cobbling up something for my bike and posting pictures of it on the forum. Members are probably getting sick of it, but teaching shop for 30 years is a curse and old habit die hard. I hope this helps.

As an additional comment, I do kind of like the Jack-Be-Quick plate I have seen posted. I might just buy one as a permanent mounting option as it appears it will work on the touring model.

Here is my old post and write up.

My R3 Touring lifting plate adapter

If you make me a copy, Ill buy one. If I have the bike up on the lift and need the front tire lifted, this is the most secure device I have seen. For the back I use the JBQ. Perhaps JBQ will partner with you to produce this thing. It looks like it would fit a bunch of bikes and would be easy him to produce and market.

If you make me a copy, Ill buy one. If I have the bike up on the lift and need the front tire lifted, this is the most secure device I have seen. For the back I use the JBQ. Perhaps JBQ will partner with you to produce this thing. It looks like it would fit a bunch of bikes and would be easy him to produce and market.

There is a front JBQ available too. The reason it's not on the website is there are "20 questions" regarding fitting.
RocketJohn and others have them fitted. Ask them for feedback.
JBQ-RKT-2009 & up F&R.JPG

I've got the front bracket indeed....it will lift the front fine, but for absolute safety I do insist on strapping everything once it's lifted. Sometimes it takes two or three fitments to make sure the straps don't block something I want to get to! Arrgh!

Sorry I missed your post as I been busy buying a new truck. Anyway, I wouldn't mind taking a crack at that, but with winter upon me it would be tough to do. Mainly...making and welding up the adjustable support arms as I don't really have a good place to do that sort of work. As I mentioned, I think I could simply use the front crosspiece and support arms in combination with the JBQ to get a nice sturdy lift. For my lift, I could simply set set that portion on the front lift surface and I think it would work in tandem with the JBQ. I won't know for sure till spring. I could give you some dimensions to work off from to do you own. One of the hardest parts in making mine was getting the distance between the supports and cutting the aluminum so it would clear everything.

Back