Fixing stuff - BONDIC light activated plastic filler / adhesive

Ishrub

That's my name ....built like a truck
Ride
2x2010 ABS Roadsters, Sprint ST 1050 ABS, 3x250s
Anybody seen or tried this BONDIC or similar before, I thought it may come in handy for repairs and patches. Not sure how hard or load bearing the clear plastic will be or if it is just a soft flexible cover/fill. Will read up now.

Watched the so called 'How srtrong is Bondic?' stupidity video - ridiculous claim for bond strength as the wire rope was not severed, merely crushed and coated with hard plastic and Au$10 a tube for a 4ml refill with an Au$8 flat rate mail per order - Jesus wept!

Now to watch a few 'not too smart' independent reviews.

If you got here without watching them you have been spared!

This one is not too bad.

Now the COMPLETE BS spin company version:

I picked up the kit with UV light and applicator at the local Aldi supermarket for Au$25 and have now found their website:

Home

HOW IT WORKS

How many times has glue let us down? Fingers stuck together, broken toys that we just can’t fix, having to throw out our stuff because gluing it only made it worse. Not to mention just when we need glue most we discover our 3-month-old bottle is as dry as the Sahara Desert on a hot day.

Bondic® is the only product that works where glue fails. It’s liquid plastic that only hardens when you need it to. YES it stays liquid and won’t dry out like those crazy glues on the market today. Bondic® is a very simple 4-step process (clean, fill, cure and shape) to fix almost anything, saving countless precious items from ending up in the trash before their time.

This incredible adhesive is a 100% water proof and heat resistant tool. A solvent free formula stays liquid until cured with the included UV LED Light. The Bondic® solution dries clear and creates a permanent bond. Bond, build, fix and fill virtually anything in seconds. Bondic® works on : plastic, wood, metal, PVC, steel, rubber, wiring, ceramic, figurines, vinyl, Kevlar, polypropylene, leather and so much more.

INSTRUCTIONS
READ INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING: Work area should be clean. If you want a permanent bond then make the surface rough. If you want a temporary bond then have the surface very smooth like glass. Twist open the cap and squeeze the amount you need to have primary contact. Cure with the LED, it takes 3-4 seconds to harden. You can use Bondic® underwater but the LED is not waterproof. So shine it from the outside in to cure Bondic®. Increase strength by applying more layers.

WARNING: HARMFUL BY INHALATION, HARMFUL IN CONTACT WITH SKIN, IRRITATING TO RESPIRATORY SYSTEM, SEVERE EYE IRRITATION, VAPORS MAY BE IRRITATING TO EYES, NOSE, THROAT, AND LUNGS.

FIRST AID TREATMENT: Skin contact: Wash off immediately with soap and plenty of water, Get medical attention if irritation develops and persists. Eye contact: Flush eyes with water at least 15 minutes, get medical attention if eye irritation develops or persists. Inhalation: Move to fresh air, If symptoms persist, call a physician. Ingestion: If swallowed, Rinse mouth, Get medical attention. Protection of First-aiders: Ensure that medical personnel are aware of the material(s) involved, take precautions to protect themselves and prevent spread of contamination. Notes to physician: Treat symptomatically.

Last edited:
I think a comment I saw sums it up pretty well, but it is great for making a hard plastic shell around somthing that can then be bonded if required with epoxy or thin superglue in side it and items to be joined.

Plast-aid might provide about 5-10x stronger bond on that, as it actually melts into the plastic being bonded. These UV cure glues seem more accurately just hard plastic, that may or may often not really bond well to the surfaces, compared to even superglue which can be built up with baking soda to give a surprisingly strong final bead. UV stuff looks useful mostly for craftsy types trying to hold unwieldy things while other glues cure, but not generally dependable, durable or trustworthy in service.

Looks right re Plast-aid too!

Cures in 15 mins.
Chemically fuses to ABS, PVC, acrylic, polycarbonate.

Australian Spa Parts - Plast-Aid Two Part Adhesive Sealant Plastic Repair Kit - 1.5oz / 40g

$44.00
In Stock

5 In Stock

SKU:
pa80100
Brand:
Plast-Aid
Shipping:
Calculated at checkout
Add To Wishlist
Product Description
Perfect for external leak repairs of plastic and acrylic parts under pressure

No need to replace cracked fittings - clean and apply Plast-Aid on exterior of fitting for lasting seal and repair

Perfect for filling Acrylic Spa Shell crack repairs - cast, fill, glue and form.

Uses:
Fill cracks in acrylic spa shell prior to painting
Repair cracked PVC and acrylic fittings such as valve bodies, manifolds, filter housings
Manufacture specialty fittings by cementing components together. eg add a barbed fitting to a Tee piece for an air bleed connection.

NB - this product is white in colour. It is NOT designed to be the final surface for a spa shell crack repair.
Crack repairs should be subsequently sanded and painted first with colour and finally with a clear top coat using professional products designed for spa applications, applied with an airbrush.

1.5oz / 42g - makes 2.2 cubic inches of Plast-aid (36 cubic cm)

Cures in 15 mins.
Chemically fuses to ABS, PVC, acrylic, polycarbonate.

Last edited:
UV cured totally clear adhesives have been used for many years in glassware and crystalware. Swarovski crystal pieces consist of many individually ground/faceted sections, "glued" together with this stuff. Glass homeware pieces - coffee tables and such - are often separate pieces stuck together. They don't come unstuck.

Bunnings (and I suppose other hardware stores) usually have small quantities for sale, including the battery-powered UV light - like the ALDI one you bought.

UV cured totally clear adhesives have been used for many years in glassware and crystalware. Swarovski crystal pieces consist of many individually ground/faceted sections, "glued" together with this stuff. Glass homeware pieces - coffee tables and such - are often separate pieces stuck together. They don't come unstuck.

Bunnings (and I suppose other hardware stores) usually have small quantities for sale, including the battery-powered UV light - like the ALDI one you bought.

Yeah all fairly low load / little side loads uses.:)

Perfect for 'spot welding' while serious adhesives have time to set.

When I painted the bike, I removed the pointless brake line holders from the front fender and filled the holes with Bondic. Worked well and took the paint fine (with a bit of scuffing).

I also used it a lot in fabricating various props and costume pieces and it's never let me down.

Back