Fixin to start turning wrenches

cootertwo

Living Legend
Ride
2013, & 2 05's R3R, 2006, 2004 Harley's, 2004 Kaw
Hi all. Well, my poor old 05 with 65,000 miles is acting up. I put a Barnette clutch in her awhile back, but apparently didn't look far enough into her internals. Symptoms: Have had to re-adjust clutch cable many times. Thought it might be breaking, replaced, but still keeps gaining free play. Now clutch has a judder/grabbing/rattling thing going on, while stopped in gear, with clutch pulled in. Getting harder and harder to find neutral. Strange shifting thing, sometimes it takes 2 up clicks to engage, like the first time, it ain't connecting to anything. However, I've learned before up-shifting, to put a tiny bit of up pressure on the shift lever, and if I feel nothing, let off, and then it's connected, and shifts ok. Sometimes when engine off, if you lift the shift lever, it's like there's nothing there (detent spring), but at the same time, if you push down, there is a spring tension. (detent spring?) I'm gathering parts, and have the detent spring, also the other weird looking spring that's in there. New design clutch pressure plate, lifter piece, and a couple of new shifter arms, that I can not locate at the moment. It may even be the whole clutch basket is loose, I dunno. I will be 70, this September, and ain't looking forward to all this work, but she is my favorite, with a Jardine system, 3 K&N's, runs great. Toying with the idea of transplanting the 2013 engine I have from a wreck, but unsure of the mess that might entail. I would think I should be able to put that engine in, using the 05 wiring harness, ECU, and maybe only thing different is the shift indicator thing. Comments and advice very welcomed.:)

No mess cooter everything on the 13 will go right in. It has thicker plates on the backlash eliminator to boot. You're only out gasket, coolant, and oil and maybe the basket nut. Heck you'll even be able to change the detent spring if something looks fishy.

Hi Guys. Feeling better. Just went today (5/2) for an MRI. Don't know results yet. Got Rocket put back together. Last time I put in the Barnette Clutch, I used the old style pressure plate, with the roller thrust bearing. Well, I found the thrust bearing had come apart, and ate a washer or two, and fubared the whole mess up, hence my shifting, hard to find neutral thing. Re-installed with the new style pressure plate, with the ball bearing, a new lifter piece, and lifter shaft. All is well. Shifts as good as my 2013 now! 65,000 and still running strong.:):):):):):):):):):)

Thinking of ripping up the Appalachians this weekend. Need to do some testing.:) radial damper, adjustable front suspension, and the new Battle Criuse. Adjustable rear suspension Plus southern cooking. :)

Back