Fishbein Rocket III Touring Black/White

Fishbein

Supercharged
Ride
Rocket III Touring 2014 (previously 2008)
Got an 08 Rocket III Touring Black/White I love it!! Problem w/ digital tach read. Replacing it under warranty. Been riding Hondas for 20 years, but went for the Triumph this time b/c I was so impressed with the Rocket III. Few questions:

1. It's Ok that Triumph will not reset the odometer, claiming it's illegal? I have had it 1.5 months and have over 2000 miles on it already. I don't plan on selling and would rather have it read accurately.

2. For safety, I got 3 lights on the front, also helps you see well at night. When I have the center light on Bright, along w/ the other 2 which are very bright, seems to bother other drivers. Should I not worry about it and keep safe, or do you think the low beam in center is enough, esp. w/ the other 2 auxiliary lights?

3. I put on a bunch of extras, and the last thing I got is the engine guards for the front. I'm not sure how they will look. Should I put them on or trade them in for more chrome elsewhere? Any thoughts? I'm thinking about protecting the engine and maybe my legs too though.

:cool:

It's been illegal to reset an odometer on any vehicle for decades. So yes, your dealer not only won't do it, but probably can't do it. Just have to keep note of what you're previous odometer read when you replaced it.

As far as high beams go, I would not ride around blinding other drivers. Use your high and low beam just as you would in your car. If you can see fine with your low beam on, use it. If there's no traffic around, click on the high beam. Yes you want to be seen, but you don't want to blind oncoming traffic either. That would be almost as bad as riding with no lights.. :eek:

I personally don't have an engine guard because I like the cleaner look, but they are definitely handy to put foot pegs on to stretch out a bit, and also will provide some protection if the bike goes down. An R3T already is dressed out, so an engine guard would look right at home. That's pretty much a personal choice that only you can decide. It's an R3T.. It'll look good either way.. :)

Thanks

I appreciate your response. Yeah, I know it's been the law that an odometer cannot be changed (I'm a lawyer too). However, I thought the one exception would be where the odometer is defective on a brand new bike and has to be replaced. Anyway, no worries, I'll keep track, but I make have 3,000 miles by then.

I think you are probably right about the brights too. It's probably just too much with all 3 on bright, so I'll go with the low beams unless I'm on a country road and nobody around. That's what I was thinking of anyway. But I don't think it blinds anyone during the day, so I'll keep the brights on during the day.

And yep, it's a personal call on the engine guards. I was worried that if I put the rack on the back it would look too bulky, but now I like it, just more chrome. But I'm 5'9" 175, so this is a big heavy bike for me, though I'm getting very used to it. The engine guards will make it a little heavier too I suppose. Thanks, again. Rich (Fishbein) :cool:

Hey CrazyTed

No, I don't have a tach on my Touring, unfortunately. I'd love to have one. I wonder if they make one...have not seen that as an option. So you have the Touring? It appears they were going to make a chrome side cover (huge piece of chrome), it was in the catalogue, but they chose not to do it. I assume it was because even the plastic side covers get hot, so w/ that engine chrome side covers my burn you leg??? Fishbein :cool:

all i can tell you is THANK GOD i had engine guards put on. They saved my left leg from oblivion on my recent crash. I laid the bike down on the crash guard and it protected me ad the bike very very well. In fact.. Im going to add the rear guards as well after this. my bags took a scuffing but they kept the bike from damage as well.

cheers
geo

Ok, your original post said you had a problem with the digital tach read so that's where the confusion came from.
I wouldn't want the chrome side covers as I think that would look ugly. I notice they get warm but wouldn't believe they would be hot enough to burn.

Got an 08 Rocket III Touring Black/White I love it!! Problem w/ digital tach read. Replacing it under warranty. Been riding Hondas for 20 years, but went for the Triumph this time b/c I was so impressed with the Rocket III. Few questions:

1. It's Ok that Triumph will not reset the odometer, claiming it's illegal? I have had it 1.5 months and have over 2000 miles on it already. I don't plan on selling and would rather have it read accurately.

2. For safety, I got 3 lights on the front, also helps you see well at night. When I have the center light on Bright, along w/ the other 2 which are very bright, seems to bother other drivers. Should I not worry about it and keep safe, or do you think the low beam in center is enough, esp. w/ the other 2 auxiliary lights?

3. I put on a bunch of extras, and the last thing I got is the engine guards for the front. I'm not sure how they will look. Should I put them on or trade them in for more chrome elsewhere? Any thoughts? I'm thinking about protecting the engine and maybe my legs too though.
:cool:

2. The lights should be wired so the auxillary lights go off when the highbeam is engaged.

3. They're not engine guards. They're dresser bars. They will likely hold if you tip the bike over, but they're not going to hold up in much of a crash. I wouldn't bother with them unless I decided I needed a place to put highway pegs.

sound to me like georgia's dresser/crash/tipover bars held up fine. I'd like to know if they were the Rivco or the Triumph bars???

all i can tell you is THANK GOD i had engine guards put on. They saved my left leg from oblivion on my recent crash. I laid the bike down on the crash guard and it protected me ad the bike very very well. In fact.. Im going to add the rear guards as well after this. my bags took a scuffing but they kept the bike from damage as well.

cheers
geo

Glad to hear it, Georgia. And glad you were protected. Yeah, I got the rear ones, but haven't put the front ones on. Hope you're ankle's recovering.:cool:

Back