First thousand are in the book...

mjensen2k

.020 Over
Ok, I'm not exactly sure that I have a thousand miles under my best since buying my used '06 R3, but it is getting close. Close enough for me to offer up a few 'newbie' thoughts.

I've been riding almost every day, and really miss it when I'm not on the bike. It's becoming a great part of my day. I didn't know how much any motorcycle would become a part of my daily commute and was worried a bit about the size, etc. etc. :) What the BLEEP was I thinking? haha.

I wear light Triumph gloves and they are taking more of a beating than I expected. Not that I'm getting hit by stuff, but I have these baby soft computer-guy hands, and I'm actually getting my hands roughed up some. My left hand more so than my right. Unexpected for me.

My first run up into the mountains with all the twisties raised my confidence and taught me a ton about riding the bike in anything other than straight ahead. :) I think I'm heading back up the mountains tomorrow or Sunday again. Woohoo! Getting around parking lots, etc. is a piece of cake compared to when I first started on the beast.

I picked up the tip of using the kickstand to kill the engine to ensure that I have the bike in gear. I like that.

I've worn ear plugs almost exclusively for the last week. I wear a full face helmet too, but the ear plugs seem to be a positive. I like it. Not enough to profess it on the mountain top, but generally it's been positive.

I'm very pleased with my laptop and lunch in my new backpack.

I have an angry flyscreen on the way to get some wind off my chest.

I'm unhappy that the speedo is off so much... I'm sure there is a ton of info on here, I just haven't dug in yet.

The overlap in gear ratio is just huge. It's almost like 'who cares what gear I'm in??'

And the most important thing of all.... I'm very glad I got the motorcycle BEFORE my ex-wife received her attorney fees judgment. :) It may have scared me off financially from buying the bike. EFF that! The bike is now a write off for therapy ;-)

There are my thoughts after the first thousand miles. :)

Certainly does changes your perspective about large bikes, and how they handle, doesn't it?

Motorcycling fits that fabric of our lives. It's an integral part of it.

Glad you're enjoying the Rocket. :)

Another happy rider:D always and I mean always wear earplugs one more thing lose the laptop just like your watch:D
He can't lose the laptop Scot,,,, he needs it to post here:D
other than that, my advise after 1000 miles is,,,twist the throtle a little further and hang oooooonnnn~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Congrats on the new bike!
I have not reached the 1000 mile mark on mine yet... bloody snow...

I have thought about this for all of 15 secs so please excuse a stupid question.... but why ear plugs in a full face helmet? I understand I wear them in my half helmet because the wind noise is terrible but in a full face?

Anyway... here's to your next thousand miles ! :bch:

Curt

Glad you are enjoying your riding time...I am extremely envious.

Bonecarver - I've always ridden with earplugs on long trips (not so much around town) because most if not all helmets will give you some degree of windnoise and it makes the trip (mentally anyway) seem longer. When you ride with earplugs it's a lot quieter and even if you have a stereo going (like I did on my Gold Wing) you can hear the music pretty clearly without hardly any interference from the wind.

Try it...you will be surprised. I've been using them on trips since around 1987.

Dennis

88 dtg Dubai
89 dtg Home for good!

Thanks everyone!

I'd read about the earplugs and since I do work at power-plants I happened to have some lying around and gave it a shot. Safety is number one at the plants and hearing is paramount to that.

My full-face helmet is actually a 'transformer'. The Scorpion exo900. So there are some seams that allow in wind noise, etc. I don't have music or anything and frankly I really didn't realize how much noise there was until I put the ear plugs in. For a 10 minute trip to the movie theater I don't necessarily bother. But 45 minutes to work I definitely put them in.

I'm also a computer guy, and my laptop is my toolbox for work. I can't hardly leave that. I haven't worn a watch in like three years, so I completely agree with you there!

Regarding twisting the throttle... :) I've really been pretty cautious. I'm just starting to play with it a little more. Hitting the on ramps a little harder, etc. I think I'll be a little more open when I get the fly screen on and get some wind off of me.

To the next thousand!

Mike

I will hit 40000 with my 06' next week. Don't take a MSF course! :eek: :D It gives you too much confidence to do crazy stuff. Earplugs and full face, never leave home without em. Mine however play soft music. ;)

Back