First "self" oil change

hoopla

Mained to ride!
Ride
2022 Rocket 3 GT
First change was at 571 miles, second at 1490 miles. Found the oil to look quite dirty, much more so than I expected. It should be noted that at the Triumph dealer first service they didn't drain both sumps and put only 4 3/4 qts in the bike. I called them about it, they said it was OK. I new I was going to change at around 1500 miles, so I let it be. I installed the Amsoil filter, impressed by it's effectiveness at the 20 micron level, something like 99% removal at 3/4 of a mil. partical size. Used Castrol 4T 10W40 oil, considering switching over to 20-50 next time at 2500 miles, others have said that the engine gets a little quieter with the 20-50 oils. Cooler too, but I don't understand this, usually thinner oils move better, maybe it's less friction within the engine, who know the anwer to this??

To top it all off, the Rocket is running great, open her wide in second and she's a load, haven't dared to do it in first yet. Rear tires are going edge to edge now, getting the suspension set up nicely.

Hoopla

I did mine the other day....it did not occur to me that six quarts was not going to fit in the tank all at once. So when I realized I need to start the engine and burp it down...I got rewarded with a gusher of oil! It looked like a lot more than it was, but at least I learned how to get the whole measure in there! Never read the manual when you can make a learning experience!

I did mine the other day....it did not occur to me that six quarts was not going to fit in the tank all at once. So when I realized I need to start the engine and burp it down...I got rewarded with a gusher of oil! It looked like a lot more than it was, but at least I learned how to get the whole measure in there! Never read the manual when you can make a learning experience!

Yes, I saw the Triumph people do the running of the engine after they had 4 qts in the tank, so I avoided the gusher! I also saw them put some oil in the filter before fitting, I was in that habit with the Bonnie, but still a nice step to help lube quicker.

Hoopla

Do you always change your oil after 900miles? if yes please put it in a container and send it to me

Yes during break in of a new motor, when I broke in my 994, changed at 50 miles, then again at 50 miles, then at 500, twice before normal oil changes. I can't believe Triumph let's the engines go 10000 miles after the first oil change, no wonder they have problems with some of their engines. I'm going go only another 1000 miles before changing in the Rocket again, and if that looks like this last change, I'll only go another 1000 until it looks like it should at 1000 miles, clean.

Hoopla

I am getting my first oil change at the dealer next week. You have me thinking about doing another at 1000 just to see, but after that I will change it every 5000 miles or once a season. Figured I should get 5000 out of the synthetic oil. Oh ya that is in miles.

I am getting my first oil change at the dealer next week. You have me thinking about doing another at 1000 just to see, but after that I will change it every 5000 miles or once a season. Figured I should get 5000 out of the synthetic oil. Oh ya that is in miles.
If you do extra changes, it would be great to have every change tested by Blackstone to see what difference it makes and what their comments are.

Back