First ride this season :)

instant

Supercharged
Ride
2009 Rocket III
Hesitated to ride during lockdown (in Europe), but my Vmax spent 5 weeks in the shop waiting for pickup. So I made myself an exception, trying to help the shop that was short on space. Its only 7km ride. Well, it went quick: New tires + distracted (idiot) rider = little rodeo. Fortunately empty streets so I hit nobody. Helmet cracked, ribs 2-8 broken, one dislocated finger, bruised elbow, beaten left hip. Other than that I am better than new :)

As a side note - if I had an airbag vest (purchase of which I have procrastinated for years) I would probably walk away from it and only broken thing would be my pride. Also, I did not fell 100% ok that day, now I know that the gut feeling is sometimes worth listening to.

Picture is 10 days old made when in ICU, I am home now. Be careful, hospital is not the best place for sleep these days. There is a smile under the mask, but yes, broken ribs are a pain from hell :)

Attachments

• instant hospital.jpg
    instant hospital.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 19
That sucks:banghead: at least you are on the mend, what caused the accident? I know some people would say I laid the bike down when in fact all they did was crash;)

Must be my own mistake. Last thing I remember pulling the clutch before the slight right turn, not in high speed, city limit. Then is the cloudy memory of bike dancing under me. Then me lying on the ground watching somebody lifting the bike and other guy talking to me. Nothing in between. No witnesses so I will never know. I either got highsider because of the new slippy tire or did not see something tricky like the sewer pot or so and hit it. The road was dry and I had brand new tires on it. Might be something else but I will never know. I fell on my left side in right hand turn so i must have been kicked off the bike.

If you know Vmax, it has a relatively strange top heavy feel comparing to say RIII. RIII is heavy but the center of gravity is not that high. Vmax is V4 plus probably inertia of the pistons and the front fork rake and seat triangle that create that feel. It requires certain work with gas in the corner to mamage that top heaviness. Comparably amd ignoring its absolute weight, RIII is almost a beginner bike.

Hesitated to ride during lockdown (in Europe), but my Vmax spent 5 weeks in the shop waiting for pickup. So I made myself an exception, trying to help the shop that was short on space. Its only 7km ride. Well, it went quick: New tires + distracted (idiot) rider = little rodeo. Fortunately empty streets so I hit nobody. Helmet cracked, ribs 2-8 broken, one dislocated finger, bruised elbow, beaten left hip. Other than that I am better than new :)

As a side note - if I had an airbag vest (purchase of which I have procrastinated for years) I would probably walk away from it and only broken thing would be my pride. Also, I did not fell 100% ok that day, now I know that the gut feeling is sometimes worth listening to.

Picture is 10 days old made when in ICU, I am home now. Be careful, hospital is not the best place for sleep these days. There is a smile under the mask, but yes, broken ribs are a pain from hell :)
Get well soon but it could have been worse... like if you had been riding the Rocket ;) :)

Back