First, now or later?

leatal

Turbocharged
Ride
2014 Roadster, 2020 Rocket GT
After reading the problems some have had with gear selection, I have to ask the masses as to best technique for moving into first gear when stopping and going. I usually use engine compression to slow, then gear down into neutral when down to walking speed. Once stopped, I drop into first to take off. I notice when going from neutral to first at a stop, there is a clunk when the gear is engaged. If I gear down into first when coasting down, it is smooth as butter, but I have to hold the clutch lever in until going again. I wonder which technique causes more wear and tear on the transmission? The clunking into first at a stop (can't be good for the dog ears), or the clutch lever being in while at a prolonged stop (can't be good for the clutch). The beast does well going through the gears and has never jumped out of gear. The only grip I have is the rattling of the throw out lever (whatever it is called), when in neutral at idle with clutch lever released. Maybe you guys with higher mileage bikes or those who have knowledge of this transmission can chime in and share your technique/knowledge?

Finding neutral while I am moving takes too much effort for me. In any case I snick down to first and stay there on stopping for I wish to allow myself a means to get away quickly should the need arise.

Go ahead you already seem to have clutch problems anyways. Truimph made first gear on the rocket for a reason. I have never understood the concept of placing a bike in neutral at a stoplight or a stop sign. For me I want to be ready to get out of the way quickly if I need to. Kind of like the guy that pulls up to a light drops both feet down and goes hands free from the bars and never checks out his rear view mirrors. Those are the ones who are always surprised when they get hit from the rear.

Go ahead you already seem to have clutch problems anyways. Truimph made first gear on the rocket for a reason. I have never understood the concept of placing a bike in neutral at a stoplight or a stop sign. For me I want to be ready to get out of the way quickly if I need to. Kind of like the guy that pulls up to a light drops both feet down and goes hands free from the bars and never checks out his rear view mirrors. Those are the ones who are always surprised when they get hit from the rear.

Amen

I am pretty certain... though I have never opened the crankcase of a Rocket...that being a big engine, there are likely big gears and cogs and things in the transmission. I reckon a goodly clunk now and again is not to be unexpected, and perhaps welcome to ensure that indeed you are in gear.

Back