Finding a good inexpensive GPS

Bigfoot

.060 Over
Ride
2006 Rocket Classic, 2007 Rocket
OK I am looking for a decent GPS for the Rocket but dont want to spend an arm and a leg ....any suggestions or let me know what you got so I can decide whether to invest more money in one or not. Are the ones that say they are designed for motorcycles really built tougher to take the extra vibrations/jolts etc or can you make due with a regular one. Thanks

I have a Garmin Zumo 660, but they cost an arm & a leg compared to car devices.

When I wanted a backup unit, I bought a second hand Garmin Nuvi from ebay for £40 and put it into a weatherproof holder and used a power lead direct to a cigarette lighter type socket I already had fitted. Works like a dream so far, and uses the same operating system & maps that the zumo uses, so no different techniques to learn.

Any of the automotive GPS will work on your bike. Like Owl noted you will need an outlet to power it. If itg rains either take it off bike or cover with a plastic bag. I used a Nuvi 760 for several years with no problems until I got my Zumo.

I use a Nuvi 1490 with free downloadable maps for life from Garmin. Also bought a waterproof bag for the mount as well.

Native One

I have the same as N1 and a tom tom I dont like the tom tom the garmin nuvi sucktion cup goes onto my windshield just below the cross piece and sit just up from the speedo and tac and I can read it from there without my glasses on :) and its in you line of site so you are not looking away from the road to see it . works good for me. I will post a pic wen I get home on saterday if i do get home LOL

I have the Zumo 660 because I wanted to be able to find nearest hotels, use it for "tracks", see it clearly, and a BUNCH of other features. The way I have the GPS mounts on my 2 bikes make it impossible to waterproof with a baggie.
My best piece of advice is to really learn whatever unit you end up buying. This is important.
advrider.com has an extensive section on all the navigational units.

This is wat I do with mine I find this spot works realy good and now that there is no key there even better

Attachments

• DSCF2912.JPG
    DSCF2912.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF2913.JPG
    DSCF2913.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF2914.JPG
    DSCF2914.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 30
Back