Finally made it to a Dyno

T Evans

Supercharged
Went over to Bikelahoma today in Pryor, OK. Stopped over in Skiatook and meet Skip and ate a burger and got to know each other. Thanks again Skip, next time its my turn to buy.
I got over there and there was a Dyno trailer setup so I had him make a pull to see where I was at. He made 2 pulls, 1 in 4th and 1 in 5th. They were both almost identical.
I have the Jardines, triples and TuneBoy. PigR9 sent me a TB tune back in Dec. that I have been running and I have been pleased with the performance but my fuel economy went to hell. From 30 mpg to 23 mpg but no back fire on decel either. Here is the first 2 pulls.

I then raised the fuel tank and connected the PCIII and put it back on the dyno. The following is the results after he finished dialing it in with the PCIII.
It went from 135.86 hp and 143.91 trq. to 141.74 hp and 148.95 trq. That's 6 hp and 5 ftpds of trq. I'll take that all day long.
I then rode 140 miles home and the fuel economy went from 23 mpg to 28 mpg.

I am really pleased with the way it turned out even though the guy that was running the dyno couldn't understand that when I connected the PCIII and asked him to install a zero map. He said the computer would do it automatically. When he first started tuning with the PCIII the bike was way fat and it took him numerous tries to get it right. I had him set the cruzing speed at 3k for best fuel economy and the 5 mpg gain showed it.

All the Harley boys couldn't believe the numbers the Rocket was putting out. Oh and I was wearing my Triumph Tee shirt the says "Hang on honey, this ain't no Harley.

Wished I would have done it sooner and did I mention that the bike runs like a raped ape. Now I think I will hook up my TB and record the map for future use if needed.

Big T

Well Mr T..that makes all that work and frustration that you had worthwhile..congrats
And the bit about the tee shirt made me laugh :D

Ray

It was a pleasure meeting you Terry.
We sure need to do it again real soon.
Decent numbers too.
After we parted ways, I went out to the crossroads bar you rode past out by the lake.
The one with the statue of the hog with handlebars on his back.
Anyway there was about 6 harleys sittin out there.
I had to stop, just to be sociable ya understand, ;);)
Drinking a beer out on the deck with a couple of them ole boys when another guy pulls up and says "nice Honda"......
Don't know who it pissed off worse me, or the ole boys I was having a beer with.
Old school bikers, not the posers types.
Either way after a few more beers, we went riding and headed for a cookout.
free beer and free food, not a bad deal.
Turns out it was at an old harley buddy of mines place I hadn't seen in about 15 years.
We caught up on our years apart,
and considering he was the head mechanic at the local HD shop for years
and everybody knew him from his years of expierence, and rep,
I felt pretty good when he announced to the crowd,
"See this ole boy right here,
this is the guy that gave me my first set of leathers when I started riding."
"I never thought I'd see this man on anything BUT a harley,
If he rides a Triumph now,
I guarantee its worth riding, and I can't wait till I'm sober enough to try it out."
So even though we didn't get to ride together much yesterday Big T,
my day still turned out ok.
Glad yours did too.;)

Wish I'd known it was goin on. I'd've come over. Been meaning to dyno mine since the cam install. Shux.

It was a pleasure meeting you Terry.
We sure need to do it again real soon.
Decent numbers too.
After we parted ways, I went out to the crossroads bar you rode past out by the lake.
The one with the statue of the hog with handlebars on his back.
Anyway there was about 6 harleys sittin out there.
I had to stop, just to be sociable ya understand, ;);)
Drinking a beer out on the deck with a couple of them ole boys when another guy pulls up and says "nice Honda"......
Don't know who it pissed off worse me, or the ole boys I was having a beer with.
Old school bikers, not the posers types.
Either way after a few more beers, we went riding and headed for a cookout.
free beer and free food, not a bad deal.
Turns out it was at an old harley buddy of mines place I hadn't seen in about 15 years.
We caught up on our years apart,
and considering he was the head mechanic at the local HD shop for years
and everybody knew him from his years of expierence, and rep,
I felt pretty good when he announced to the crowd,
"See this ole boy right here,
this is the guy that gave me my first set of leathers when I started riding."
"I never thought I'd see this man on anything BUT a harley,
If he rides a Triumph now,
I guarantee its worth riding, and I can't wait till I'm sober enough to try it out."
So even though we didn't get to ride together much yesterday Big T,
my day still turned out ok.
Glad yours did too.;)
THE HD guys in our area dont say anything about TRIUMPHS they usually try to pick on the JAP bikes but even that has ceased now they get embarressed on the road on a regular basis BUT all the HD guys I know are drunks and dont really ride other than to a bar:D

Wish I'd known it was goin on. I'd've come over. Been meaning to dyno mine since the cam install. Shux.

Ken,
on the 6th of next month in Cassoday Kansas is the monthly biker breakfast.
You'll see around 500-1000 hd's there and at least 1 rocket.
You can get a dyno run there for $30.00
Come on up.

Art, yea there's always that.
The embarassment part.
And then theres the image they need to maintain,
you know, the "outlaw biker" image.
Oh well, these were old school guys,
we drank some kansas (6 point) beer,
talked bikes and had one heck of a good time,
in fact only one guy got nipped by my buddies wolves.
So we wasn't to wasted.;)

I didn't think I could feel 6 hp but this thing pulls like a freight train. With the Boss, you didn't feel the torque the way you do on this thing because the tire was spinning when you nailed it. I nailed it getting back on the turnpike and it was pulling so hard I had to grab hold of it because it was pushing the front tire trying to go straight rather than go thru the curve. Does that make any sense?

All I can say is if you have installed a TuneBoy or a PCIII and haven't taken the time to finish the install by having it dyno tuned, than you are not getting all that you paid for when you purchased your tune. IMO

I have tried to find another bike that I would want to ride instead of this Rocket and I can't find one that fits me as well as this one and that can perform as well as this one does. There are other bikes that are better canyon carvers, better touring bikes and just plain faster than a rocket right out of the box but try to find one that does it all as well as the Rocket III does and you can't find one. IMO

So until they make a Goldwing that can run with the Rocket III or a Busa that you can tour on, then I guess I am stuck with a Rocket III and that aint all bad.

Big T

T did you import the PC3 tune into tune boy? I hear a little is lost but when you go back and tweek the PC3 again it gets closer and closer till your tune in tune boy is perfect.

I didn't think I could feel 6 hp but this thing pulls like a freight train. With the Boss, you didn't feel the torque the way you do on this thing because the tire was spinning when you nailed it. I nailed it getting back on the turnpike and it was pulling so hard I had to grab hold of it because it was pushing the front tire trying to go straight rather than go thru the curve. Does that make any sense?

All I can say is if you have installed a TuneBoy or a PCIII and haven't taken the time to finish the install by having it dyno tuned, than you are not getting all that you paid for when you purchased your tune. IMO

I have tried to find another bike that I would want to ride instead of this Rocket and I can't find one that fits me as well as this one and that can perform as well as this one does. There are other bikes that are better canyon carvers, better touring bikes and just plain faster than a rocket right out of the box but try to find one that does it all as well as the Rocket III does and you can't find one. IMO

So until they make a Goldwing that can run with the Rocket III or a Busa that you can tour on, then I guess I am stuck with a Rocket III and that aint all bad.

Big T
I was hoping one day you would plug that PCIII back in .... hit that 150mph (indicated) mark yet?
Or is that fairing still fighting back?

Its been too windy around here lately to be bumping that 150 mph mark but as soon as I can give it a try you can bet that I am going to. I don't think that the fairing is going to allow it but as soon as conditions are right and I can spin'er up that fast, I will and report back to ya.

I would have never been able to do all this with out the help of all you guys from this web site. Thanks to everyone.

Big T

Back