Old Gringo

Supercharged
Ride
2013 Triumph Rocket III Touring
Left the States on April 30 and returned home on June 7. Went to Greece, Crete, Rhoades, Patmos, Turkey and finally ended up in England. There are many, many motorcycles in Europe, however I was hard pressed to see any Triumphs until I arrived in England. And then, I only saw one R3. Perhaps the owner of that R3 is a member of this site. Does anyone own an R3 that was parked outside the library in Heathfield, England around noon on June 5? I parked the rental, but the bike was gone before I could get back to the library. Anyway...close call.

My return flight was on a US KC-135 out of the RAF base at Mildenhall. Mildenhall to Bangor, ME to drop off one military dependent and then on to Tinker AFB in Oklahoma City, OK. Then we took a one way rental to Frisco, TX and the holiday was over.

If there are any US retired military out there (I know of at least one and he asked for an update on Space Available flights), you should take advantage of free flights all over the world. You have to be flexible as you may not get out on the day you want. You have to be patient. We had no problem...19 seats available and only 14 taken. The flight may not be the most comfortable, but the price is right. It's FREE. If anybody wants more detailed info, contact me.

Hi Old Gringo...I have heard about this benefit but I have always assumed a minimum number of service years-like in the range of 20 or more were required. I was a Paratrooper in the U.S. Army here in Anchorage for 4 years in the late 1970's so not sure if that qualifies. -Welcome home...curious, any anti-American sentiment evident in Greece or Turkey? -Doug (From the largest state in the union-LOL-sorry, couldnt resist!)

wow that is cool beniefit but one well deserved by anybody that has served their country glad you had good time I know I thoroughtly enjoy visiting the USA while you were gone maybe if I get lucky and win a lottery I will be back with Wife Ann in tow and for hopefully a bit longer to see more of your Beautiful Country

Yes, great benefit. Unfortunately they do not give that benefit to Service members who became disabled due to their service.

Hi Old Gringo, did you post details of your trip? I'm about 40 minutes from RAF Mildenhall and at least one other member is close as well. We could of met up. Great people on the base, they've had a car/bike show for the last couple of years that we've been to. Sadly it will close soon like many others in our area.

The benefit extends only to retirees (or active duty members). But as far as I know medically retired earns it as well? @vanguard138 were you medically retired? I think they draw the line at "retired" rather than get into a battle of which level disability earns it. I'm sure I've said it before, but if not, you have my gratitude and appreciation for your sacrifices! I know well the toll it takes on a person and family and there's not nearly enough of a way for those who have never experienced it to understand. I don't care if it's 2 years or 30, there's no greater contribution as a citizen to building and keeping a stronger nation!

Thanks. Was awarded 100% Total and Permanent after ETS.
My feeling is that any Service member awarded 100% should receive that benefit.

I retired from the Department of Veterans Affairs and spent several years as a DAV Chapter Service Officer assisting other Veterans with their claims. Very rewarding experience.

Agree with you absolutely! I always thought 100% was automatically a medical retirement. I guess it doesn't retro with ETS? Either way, you're right, no question about it 100% should be an automatic qualifier!

Hey Steve8319, I didn't post because I wasn't sure when I was going to be at Mildenhall. I hope to go back through Mildenhall (before it closes) on my way not only to England, but other destinations as well. I'm still wondering if that R3 in Heathfield was a member. I'm missing England right now because it's currently 86 degrees on its way to a high of 95 here in Texas. It's probably a good 20 degrees cooler over there right now.

Back