Finally a Rocket Roadster Owner

zman8537

.040 Over
Ride
2014 ROADSTER
Well, I finally broke down and purchased a new Roadster but hated to trade in my 02 America. I just couldn't justify keeping another bike going and I am short on storage space at the present. I think I got a pretty good deal on the new Roadster. It is was a 2014 leftover that was marked down to $13,400 then they gave me $2,300 for my America and then I received $2500 worth of vouchers to buy riding gear, accessories and parts. So I was pretty happy with that. I bought it on a Wednesday, rode it home and then went riding that night and Thursday night so that I could get my 500 mile service done before I left Sunday for a ride down around the Smokey Mountains. Put a little better than 1600 miles on her on the trip and other than a couple issues that I am having with her she is a beast!!! Issues are that every now and then when I pull in the clutch to get ready to downshift to come to a stop she will stall, and about 75% of the time that I blip the throttle it will backfire through the air cleaner. Sometimes I can actually feel it on my backside as it is popping feels like a small explosion under the seat. I need to do some searching on this site to see if anyone else has had any similar issues. I will be spending a lot of time on the site now that I am an official owner!!! I will be asking lots of questions too!!! Ron

G'Day Ron and welcome.
The popping will pass and you have also experienced the low speed engine stalling on zero throttle but that's just the R3 as it is new and might require the TPS or the stepper motor to be adjusted.
Take it to the dealer and tell them about so they can look into it. Or you could have it dyno tuned which will wake it up a little plus smooth things out.....

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Ron.
You certainly don't mess about miles wise do you? That's the way to get to know her and I'm sure the more you do, themore the grins.

The stalling out will pass after you get a few more miles on her.

I'd forgot about it, but it happened to me a few times when mine was new.

The stalling out will pass after you get a few more miles on her.

I'd forgot about it, but it happened to me a few times when mine was new.
Well I took it back to the dealer the other day, so just waiting to hear something! It has stalled on me about 10-12 times in 2400 miles. I just want to get it straightened out so I can start modifying. A little concerned to start modifying with issues that already exist.

WELCOME to the club from WA State.
Sure wish I was located closer to the Smokeys.

Hello Zman and welcome to the site. I too sold my 03 America after I purchased the Roadster last year. Same deal minus the problems. I miss the America but wouldn't trade the Rocket for another one. Have fun.

Welcome from Mississippi! At 2400 miles she shouldn't be stalling or backfiring. Could be something as simple as a loose connection in the air system, but definitely worth taking it in.

Back