final drive freeplay

keno351

.060 Over
hello to all, just wondering about freeplay in the drive train, when coasting in any gear i get alot of clunking from the drive shaft, under load even just slightly theres no sound at all, anyone notice this, not sure if its getting worse or not, but its sarting to bother me, any thoughts? thanks

I think it's probably normal for these bikes. My 2013 has "to me" noticeable slop too. And interesting too is that the slop seems to be different in different gears. So some of it must come from the transmission. Try putting your bike in each gear, engine off, and roll bike back and forth to check slop. There are a lot of connections between the engine crankshaft, and the rear tire.:p

Perhaps part of the problem of "slop" or "slack" is a result of the corrective measures Triumph took to beef up the tranny (mostly second gear) on new models and in their upgrade kits. Triumph reduced the number of internal slots in the internal part of the gears where the dogs engage. They also made the slots larger. Likewise, they reduced the number of dogs (cogs if you will) on the sides of the gears (they slide in and out of the slots) and made them bigger. This makes for more positive gear change as the dogs are stronger and don't have to look as hard for a slot to enter because the slots holes are larger. This engineering has (so far for me) solved the problem of losing second gear. I noticed after my transmission upgrade and also on my Roadster there is a more significant "clunk" when changing gears. Both the Standard and R3R seem to have more slack as compared to other bikes with less low end power. I think it may be a necessary evil to handle the massive torque. To me, it is like comparing a truck transmission to a sports car's.

I think it's probably normal for these bikes. My 2013 has "to me" noticeable slop too. And interesting too is that the slop seems to be different in different gears. So some of it must come from the transmission. Try putting your bike in each gear, engine off, and roll bike back and forth to check slop. There are a lot of connections between the engine crankshaft, and the rear tire.:p

mine has been like it from new i think i just notice it a bit more sometimes, at least i know mines not the only one that does it, thanks for the replies.

hello to all, just wondering about freeplay in the drive train, when coasting in any gear i get alot of clunking from the drive shaft, under load even just slightly theres no sound at all, anyone notice this, not sure if its getting worse or not, but its sarting to bother me, any thoughts? thanks

There is a torsion damper spring on the engine output shaft.
But it sounds more like the drive shaft splines are wearing maybe, do you do the grease exercise at tyre changes ? if its dry its maybe worn and sloppy on the splines.

It could be another case of a dragging clutch. Set your lever adjustment to 1 and cable free play to about 2 millimeters.

It could be another case of a dragging clutch. Set your lever adjustment to 1 and cable free play to about 2 millimeters.

i have adjusted free play 2 mills but not with the lever set on 1, will give that a go thanks for the tip. dennsel did the splines last december with moly 60 all looked good to me.

Back