Final Drive drain plug snapped...

rosco54

.020 Over
Ride
2010 Triumph Rocket III Touring
I decided I wanted to change my oil in the final drive. I am at 27,500 miles and the 20,000 mile service was done by the dealer. well I believe they might have over tightened the drain plug, because when I loosened it the bolt snapped just below the flange. I was able to get the rest of the bolt out (I hope), but now I have a ride I am supposed to lead in 4 days and I have no drain plug. I have ordered a couple from Bike Bandit, but they still show "on order".

Does anyone know of these drain plugs in stock somewhere so I can get the drain plug expedited to me? Or does someone know the dimensions of the plug so I can get one to work for the ride. I think the dimensions are 8x10MM flanged but I can't seem to find the dimensions of the plug online. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bike Bandit can not be relied on to get you Triumph parts. I've had several orders from them cancelled because they couldn't get the parts from Triumph. Your best bet is a dealer.

Thanks tdragger.
I have a torque wrench, but didn't think it necessary for loosening a bolt. I will try the dealer, but in the past they didn't stock the items I needed and had to order them just like any other parts dealer. BTW, I don't like torque wrenches either. I haven't found them to be all that reliable...

These bolts are infamous for being super weak. I've seen posts from members who meticulously torqued them into place and still had it snap. Torque wrenches are a good thing though to avoid stripped bolts.

Take the bolt with you (or its remnants) and hit up a hardware store? If you can find something with the right threads and add a rubber gasket or something you might be able to Macgyver up something that will hold until you can get the proper part. Maybe. Ideally that bolt should be magnetic to catch metal filings, so you probably do need the real deal eventually.

Or you can do the research and see if one of the Dimple bolts from http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/ fit. If so, let me know which size so I can get one. ;) Been meaning to replace my bolt(s) with proper magnets but hasn't been the highest priority.

These bolts are infamous for being super weak. I've seen posts from members who meticulously torqued them into place and still had it snap. Torque wrenches are a good thing though to avoid stripped bolts.

Take the bolt with you (or its remnants) and hit up a hardware store? If you can find something with the right threads and add a rubber gasket or something you might be able to Macgyver up something that will hold until you can get the proper part. Maybe. Ideally that bolt should be magnetic to catch metal filings, so you probably do need the real deal eventually.

Or you can do the research and see if one of the Dimple bolts from http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/ fit. If so, let me know which size so I can get one. ;) Been meaning to replace my bolt(s) with proper magnets but hasn't been the highest priority.
Thanks, cr0ft I will try that URL. My biggest concern was to not get a bolt that was too long. I don't want to get into the gears..

Thanks, cr0ft I will try that URL. My biggest concern was to not get a bolt that was too long. I don't want to get into the gears..

Just tossing a semi-random link out there, I have no idea if they have anything that fits that particular application, so caveat emptor.

Also, bolts can be cut and the end cleaned up so it can be used. Since we're talking a semi-emergency to get you back on the road.

cr0ft, They had the main drain plug listed but not the final drive. I sent an email asking them if they had one for the final drive. I will let you know what I find out.

Look here, they have a lot of Triumph OEM parts in stock and they ship very quickly and will overnight parts if needed...

S/F

B

Back