Final drive casing exploded!

Cjard

Standard Bore
small problem with my dad's 07 r3 (normal), the casing for the final drive gave way and shattered mid ride; there's now only half of it left where the drive shaft enters the casing and there's a lot of damage elsewhere - pretty impressive actually. Thankfully it stayed together enough for him to come to a stop without an accident

Now it turned out that a new one from triumph was a grand, and there don't seem to be many in this country for much less second hand. He did however managed to source one in America, shipped over for about 300 quid. It's arrived and is in great condition etc but there's a slight problem

When fitted, the bike makes the most horrific gear grinding noise even when being wheeled around in neutral. I haven't made any in depth investigations, I'm just going off what he's said and what I've heard wheeling it myself. He says he's looked at the two casings and there's a slight difference in that where the 4 bolts are that mount the casing to the swinging arm, that bit (that sticks out of the circular part of the casing) on the American one is about quarter of an inch shorter than the uk one, and the suspicion is that it causes excess pressure on the drive shaft, making it rub on something that would ordinarily be more free floating. What I'm at a loss to explain though is how the wheel spindle still lines up with the hole on the other side of the swinging arm, though the swinging arm has also been changed for one sourced in this country - not sure why the swinging arm was changed

I know nothing about the relevant dates of the components involved alas, and only have a verbal description of the differences my old man's aging eyes can see :)

Is anyone aware of:

A) whether triumph would assist us beyond saying "buy a new casing"
B) whether there is a known difference between FD casings used in different world regions or years (did he order the wrong part?)
C) if there is a known difference, can the part he has be adapted/shimmed to work? I'm not averse to modifying swing arm and brake plate mounts etc if needed

Screenshot_20190303_203434.png
Screenshot_20190303_203426.png
Screenshot_20190303_203418.png

Attached is the out put casing from my 06 classic.

A part that was replaced when I did the replacement kit upgrade last year.

Can you up load pictures of what is on your dads bike.

The reason for the upgrade for this part was due to not enough clearance between bearing and casing if you over torqued the bolts I believe.

As you can see I have taken a close up of the part number and manufacturing date.

Last edited:
Yes, pictures. This is the first I've heard of a final drive blowing up. Must have been very low on fluid. He's lucky it didn't lock up. Pictures of the damage please. And what model Rocket are we talking about?

Ok a quick question did you drop the sump pam to see if the torsional damper bearings cam apart possible making the drive line lock up. I ask this because I remember one of our members exploded his finall drive trying to drastically reduce his speed before he ran out of track.

Anyway a locked torsional damper shaft from bearing failure and seizure is a possibility. And well yours being a 07 has a high probability of the front torsional damper bearing being installed back a$$ward like most of them the sump pan gasket us under 20 bucks

Did you dismantle, inspect, and reassemble the replacement final drive before installing it on your dad‘s bike? Want to make sure that there wasn’t any issues with that final drive unit. Or another possibility, is the spring between the driveshaft and the final drive coupling could’ve fallen out while you were reinstalling it and then that would be grinding while the bike is in motion. The grinding sound would be more toward the final drive unit if this is the case.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Ok I have to ask since they do not really specify and I can see the larger spline diameter on the driveshaft. But if it was a 2011 it would be black if it went on a Roadster. I cannot speak as to the color of the touring differential in 2011. I would suck if its the wrong one !!!!!

Good call on the eBay unit. Seems to be a reasonable solution.
Ok @Cjard I did some checking and like I stated above all 2011 Roadster final drives will be BLACK. If the one above is actually a 2011 then it is off a Rocket Touring. All though with extra hammers you will get it to fit on your 05 but your better off buying one that will actually work on your bike. Its your call as its pretty heavy to hang on the wall and a little akward to use as a watch fob!!!!

Last edited:
Back