Did the cap break off destroying the breather and did it just leave the tube part in the drive unit?

Nooo. The cap came of easy without braking. I spaced out and don't know where it went. Its about time for a splines lube and wheel polish. I go ahead and drain/refill the drive just for the hek of it. The first time Stout came out. I poured in some synthetic IPA. We'll see what comes out after a year of riding.

If you have gotten the cap itself off and now want to get the stub out of the housing, you could slide a piece of steel bar that is the correct diameter inside the tube, then grip it with some vice grips, twist and pull it should come out.

It's showing some signs of rust. A new one is cheap enough to buy but I need to know how to cleanly remove the old one.

jmo
if it was mine i would remove top piece take a drill the correct size grease it to keep the rust from dropping down clean the hole and make a new top.
i don't know if anyone has ever pulled that breather but i would assume that it is a pressed fit and might be able to knock it out by putting the correct size drill and screw driver if it has a lip, hth

Back