Final drive - bevel box breather removal

GaryA

Supercharged
Ride
2010 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
Would someone be able to tell how to remove and clean the breather at the top of the rear drive / bevel box?

It is something I have to check to try and figure out what is going on and causing an oil leak.

Remove the plastic trim. Grab the breather with a pair of vice grips and work it back and forth. It will pull out. I doubt that you will discover the leaking problem there. From where is your drive leaking? Clean it well and take it for a ride.

vent/breather
if it is leaking out off there it is open.
if u want to check it use a hose on the fill hole and blow smoke into it convince your love one to do it:roll::roll::roll::roll: or maybe u can hear air coming out of it.

Hmm, it has leaked out of the breather but usually drips out of the rectangular opening underneath.
Just thought that the breather may be something to check.
Have had the large oil seal around the splined hub replaced a couple of month ago but now its leaking again.

Hmm, it has leaked out of the breather but usually drips out of the rectangular opening underneath.
Just thought that the breather may be something to check.
Have had the large oil seal around the splined hub replaced a couple of month ago but now its leaking again.

if u can take it apart why don't u do that and post some pics.
if it is leaking there has to be a reason
rough area taking out seal
bad seals
something wore out so the race can move to much and gear oil move past the seal
missing spring in the seal

unfortunately I am not in the position to tear it down right now so have to rely on a workshop.
I have had fairly good experience with them.
They replaced the seal, but I don't think it was from triumph but from a bearing supply place.

Unless I got the old seal back, I'd be VERY suspicious about it ever being changed. It is not what you might call a common seal. If ANYBODY knows where to buy one, I'd pick up a couple right now!

I did actually view the old seal after replacement.
Triumph has been no help though, other than, drop it in and we will see what can be done.
We will see.

100065330-0-2.jpg
s-l640.jpg s-l67.jpg s-l66.jpg s-l65.jpg s-l64.jpg

There is no seal. The unit is not serviceable. Perhaps they are filling it tp the top of the breather and when it get hot it overflows. :eek:

Back