Faulty Gas gauge?

RockOn

Turbocharged
Ride
2006 R3 Classic, 2008 R3T, 2009 Harley Ultra
So, went on a 125-150 mile ride today on my new to me 2006 Rocket Classic. Topped off the tank right up to the brim before heading out with friends to Campo, California. Gauge on bars showed full tank. Approximately 120-130 miles later on my way home I was startled to see the gauge about one red mark away from empty. My first thought was....this bike gets terrible mileage! I immediately pulled over to the far right lane and prayed for a gas station which turned out to be next door to the Miramar Marine Corps Air Station in San Diego. Again, I filled the tank right up to the brim.....3.25 gallons.

Where do I begin to fix this problem? Gauge shows empty or nearly so and it still has 3 gallons in the tank.

Thanks for any thoughts.

VR
Escondido, CA

You need a fuelbot!. That or open up the tank and try bending the float arm a bit. I know there are fuel gauge recalibrating thingamybobs out there - but I went Fuelbot.

and if somebody didn't change the fuel filter then it's about time that somebody did.

The low fuel light should come on when you have used about 4.5 gallons or 3/4 of a tank.

Well, I had a similar problem, after changing my filter, and I ignored it. Wound up on the side of the road, OUT OF GAS! Told a friend about it, and he replied, "well it's better if the low fuel light comes on early, rather than late! I now use my trip odometer.:banghead:

You need a fuelbot!. That or open up the tank and try bending the float arm a bit. I know there are fuel gauge recalibrating thingamybobs out there - but I went Fuelbot.

How much does it cost, how is it installed and where do I order one?

Thanks,

VR

Well, I had a similar problem, after changing my filter, and I ignored it. Wound up on the side of the road, OUT OF GAS! Told a friend about it, and he replied, "well it's better if the low fuel light comes on early, rather than late! I now use my trip odometer.:banghead:

Yup, maybe that is the answer for me too......at least until I can work up the nerve to mess around with fuel filters and floats and such. Now I need to figure out how to operate the trip odo.

Thanks.

My fuel light use to come on after 110ks or 70 miles.

So just used trip meter. I can get 350kms say 215 miles before refueling.

Had a new fuel filter fitted at stealer ship two months ago and now fuel light on all the time. (must put black tape over it).

Trip meter is the knob on the side of the speedo.

Twist the knob and trip 1 will show twist again and trip 2 shows.

To reset to zero twist and hold and it resets to zero. I never have the amount of kms the beast has done showing always the miles I have traveled since fueling up.

An OEM Triumph filter is expensive, like over $50 last time I priced one. You can get alternate ones from any auto parts store from about $5-20. Get a good one and replace it every 20-30 thousand miles.

Back