Failed State Inspection

Boog

Traveling Story Teller
Ride
2014 R3T, RAMAIR, Full Viking Dual exhaust
I'll try not rant too much.

Took the bike down for an inspection thinking all is well. I had forgot that my fog lights don't work so that failed me.
While working on the bike the other day, I did the 12 minute tune after installing the new battery. I neglected removing the bike cover completely for about 10 minutes with the bike running. The headlight lens began melting. That failed me too.
The brake light didn' work, hmmm. Easy to replace though but the old one looks good and the new one won't light up on the brake check either. The running light works good though with both the old and the new bulb.
I get home and check all the fuss and they are all good. I traced the brake wire as far as I can and find no brakes in the wire. I run regular shocks and mc tire.
The fog lights quit working 6 to 7 months ago while I was riding. I saw them go out in the reflection of the car in front of me. That fuse is good and I cleaned the inside of the switch assembly just now hoping that would help. It didn't. I traced its wire into the headlight housing and cannot find any damage there.
I ordered a new headlight assembly at over $200 but if any of you have a spare you'll let go cheap, let me know.
20171129_172420.jpg

I'll try not rant too much.

Took the bike down for an inspection thinking all is well. I had forgot that my fog lights don't work so that failed me.
While working on the bike the other day, I did the 12 minute tune after installing the new battery. I neglected removing the bike cover completely for about 10 minutes with the bike running. The headlight lens began melting. That failed me too.
The brake light didn' work, hmmm. Easy to replace though but the old one looks good and the new one won't light up on the brake check either. The running light works good though with both the old and the new bulb.
I get home and check all the fuss and they are all good. I traced the brake wire as far as I can and find no brakes in the wire. I run regular shocks and mc tire.
The fog lights quit working 6 to 7 months ago while I was riding. I saw them go out in the reflection of the car in front of me. That fuse is good and I cleaned the inside of the switch assembly just now hoping that would help. It didn't. I traced its wire into the headlight housing and cannot find any damage there.
I ordered a new headlight assembly at over $200 but if any of you have a spare you'll let go cheap, let me know.
20171129_172420.jpg

When you speak of the "fog lights" do you mean your auxiliary lights? Did you check the relay for them that resided under the gas tank? Could be a simple fix.

Didnt know about that, I'll lift the tank tomorrow and give it a check. Thanks.

... Did you check the relay for them that resided under the gas tank? ....

And check Fuse #1 which supplies the power to the relay and then the aux lights

Brake Light:

Since the Running Light works, that confirms the ground to the lamp socket is good
(however important to note the brake and running light positive feeds are completely separate isolated circuits)

The Horn and the Brake Light Switches share common input power circuit

So - does the Horn work?

If not, then check Fuse # 4.
If the horn does not work, but the Fuse is good, it could also be the key-switch - although this is unlikely unless the harness got pulled & broken

If the horn does work then the power to each of the two switches should also be good - if NEITHER Front NOR Rear actuates the lamp - then is more likely a problem at the lamp itself - its sub-harness or the bulb socket (since you appear to have confirmed it is not the bulb itself)

Last edited:
I have 2 of them also that just need the shipping paid for. But my suggestion is to buy some Chinese daymaker knockoffs. Right about $100 for a pair.
Generous, but if yours are off Roadster they won't fit - the single Touring headlight is 7"
Looks like BigNorm has him covered

Back